Epson 4870 vs. 3170 for 6x9

Hi,

I am looking at getting a scanner for my 6x9 work. If I am never

going to need the larger transparency size of the 4870 will there be

an appreciable difference in scan quality between these two

scanners? I realize the flatbed will not equal a dedicated MF film

scanner, but currently the budget will not allow the Nikon or the

Minolta. If the scan quality is similar, it seems to make sense to

go with the 3170 until funds come in for a dedicated MF film scanner.

I looked at the scanners in the shop, and the transparency unit

seemed better designed on the 4870, but I don't know how that works

in practice. I was unfortunately unable to do a test scan.

Nicholas,

I have the Epson 3170. I love it for scanning photos, its ok on 35mm slides, but I have never had a scan of a 35mm negative that I was happy with from the scanner. I would say I get a lot better results scanning a 4x6 print instead of scanning the negative.

But, I have never scanned 6x9 and the extra size may make it work fine. I would recommend buying from a place that accepts returns. I bought my 3170 last year from Circuit City because of their unconditional return policy. Turns out it was not needed, I really like the scanner.

Good luck on your choice.

Ed

You haven't told us what you intend to do with the scans; print, screen? I had the 2400, and now the 4870 and I can assure you the latter makes a big difference. For one, the 4870 comes with Digital Ice, which can shave hours of cloning out dust on the large formats, even if it is MUCH slower to scan. But I rarely scan my MF and LF at anything higher than 2400dpi anyway, so the extras resolution only really makes a difference in 35mm, for me. What really is different is the dmax. While it's still falling well short of film scanners in practice, it is a huge improvement over the 2400. I have read also that having the larger lightbox the 4870 employs gives you a flatter illumination of your neg edge to edge. I would say the 4870 is worth every extra penny.

Output would be web and prints on an epson 2200, hopefully up to 13x19. Anything bigger I would send out. Maybe I should go buy both from a local place with a good return policy and pick the better one. Sounds like the 4870 will be the winner though.