1)Changing focus screen 2) external power supplies

michiel_bernhard

I have two questions about the Canon EOS 1n I got myself last week:

1) There are several focussing screens being offered for Eos 1n

cameras, is it possible to replace this focussing screen yourself?

(and how?)

2) Along with the 1n I have a PB-E2 and a BP-E1, are there non-canon

powersources available for these packs?

thanks!

Michiel, Holland

1.) Yes, focusing screens for the EOS-1 series camera are user replaceable. Each new screen comes with a plastic tweezer-like tool to grab the tab on the screen. A latch must first be released, after which the screen drops down for easy access. The task is relatively easy and can be performed in a few seconds.

2.) Both the PB-E2 and BP-E1 accept AA batteries. Each comes with a battery magazine. I recommend Energizer Lithium AAs (if they are available) for the PB-E2 (it takes 8 cells) and alkaline AAs for the BP-E1 (it takes 4 cells). Do not use Lithium AAs in the BP-E1 as their initial high voltage can damage the camera. There is also an optional Canon NiMH rechargeable battery pack and charger available for the PB-E2.

BtW, the BP-E1 is actually a dual power device. In addition to the 4 AA batteries, it accepts a 2CR5 lithium battery, the same power source as the EOS-1, 1N and 1v. When you install the BP-E1 on the camera, you must remove the camera's 2CR5 battery. It may then be installed in the BP-E1. A switch on the BP-E1 allows selecting either the 2CR5 or the 4 AA power source.

Oops! Canon does not recommend using the optional NP-E2 rechargeable battery pack for the PB-E2 with the EOS-1N.

It's no great loss because the NP-E2 is only of benefit when used with the EOS-1v, in order to achieve a higher frame advance rate. Besides, the Canon charger is outrageously expensive.