jim_mueller2

I always keep my Canon 300D and EF 300/4 IS + 1.4X TC II ready when

in the house. We have a couple of bird feeders in our suburban

backyard and one never knows when a photo-op will present itself

unexpectedly.

Sure enough! This rose-breasted grosbeak appeared suddenly and

unexpectedly. He stayed long enough to grab some sunflower seeds and

off he went. If I had to set up a tripod I would have never been

able to grab this shot. The comotion alone would have scared him off.<div>008CcY-17922884.jpg.b6da6106d40d17abeadb50d7b0f26790.jpg</div>

I am sure I told you not to do this any more. You are really going to cost me money !

Was this shot auto-focused or did you use manual focus (the JPEG has no EXIF data).

Nice focus on the bird with all those distracting branches around.

Nice shot again Jim.

<Some folks say that the AF is slow, even with the AF range limiter set to 3m-? but I disagree>

I find the speed of the AF quite fast with IS Off or On, although when the Image Stabilization is turned on, this will slow down the AF a bit. I have read that the the AF speed on the 300/4 IS is faster than the 100-400/4.5-5.6 Zoom but I've never done a direct comparison.

My 300/4 IS is getting a lot of use! It was expensive (for me) but worth it IMHO. The two features that make this lens a great performer is the Image Stabilization and its ability to work with teleconverters and still maintain excellent optical performance. The next step up for me would be the EF 500/4 but I don't see that happening unless I win the Power Ball.

I went back and looked at Canon's "File Viewer" and got the information for that RAW.

Shooting Date/Time

5/8/2004 3:00:50 AM

Shooting Mode

Aperture-Priority AE

Tv( Shutter Speed )

1/125

Av( Aperture Value )

Metering Mode

Evaluative

Exposure Compensation

+2/3

ISO Speed

Lens

300.0 mm

Focal Length

420.0 mm

Image Size

3072x2048

Image Quality

RAW

Flash

Off

White Balance

Auto

AF Mode

Manual Focus

Parameters

Contrast +1

Sharpness +1

Color saturation +1

Color tone Normal

Color Space

sRGB

I hope this helps.

It is interesting though, that both photos in this forum could be taken at an effective aperture of f5.6, one at 1/1000, and one at 1/500, using a non-IS lens and still given similar if not the same results, just less depth of field in one case. It is also fair to say that in both cases the asa could have been dialed down 1 or 2 stops to really make use of the IS feature. So IS was not absolutely necessary, in these cases, but it is now possible to invision how it could have been.

<<So IS was not absolutely necessary, in these cases,>>

He could've used a 127 Box Brownie too (assuming the bear wasn't hungry). Or a 40 year old relic with a long-focus lens resembling a clarinet. There are those who either for financial or mental reasons can't or won't acknowledge the enormous advantage of IS. That's fine, it's a personal choice. Plus it's a laugh riot reading their defensive "arguments".

<p>I find AF to be slow on this lens under one circumstance - if the distance at which the lens is currently focused is so far from the subject's distance that the view is basically completely blurry. In that case, my Elan 7e often has to resort to hunting for focus until the subject starts to appear out of the fog. This, I presume, is a result of the shallow DOF and strong background blur of a 300mm f/4 lens.</p>

<p>But if the subject is already somewhat visible, AF is very quick - the subject snaps into focus. It does slow down somewhat with the 1.4x (which is by design; AF slows down somewhat with a 1.4x, more with a 2x) but it's still pretty quick.</p>

No defensive remarks from me, simply disillusionment. I thought the days of turning autofocus off, were over years ago, and now to see IS photographs that may very well have survived without it? Is photography really as difficult as the manufacturers would have us believe? I understand that all these innovations are directed at pros who want to save a small percentage of their shots and perhaps make their workflow easier. I also understand that the amateur photographers who visit this site should be properly educated about the various technologies and their specific applications to their own photography. My applause goes out to the photographers like Jim who enthusiastically share their experiences to contribute positively to this site! Keep up the good work!

"IS" was THE tool that drove me from Minolta to Canon!

For a long time the 100-400mm IS has been a "dream-lens" for me.

Now I own said lens plus the 28-135mm IS, and I do not want a lens without IS anymore!

Pity me that Minolta announced a D7 with in-camera stabilizer 2 month after my Canon purchase! But what the xxxx, I went digital and I am happy now...