new 50/1.4 ASPH M diagrams

Yes, that old Summilux is such a dog! Mike Dixon might have a

viable career without his misguided attachment to that over-rated

German paperweight!

I'm placing my order for this new wunder-objectiv now, and then

I'm waiting for my phone call from Magnum!<div>008QlG-18236984.JPG.de51dded38358427a19f17fdb3674a6c.JPG</div>

Guess what guys- This lens is really going to work well for the digital M. Just like

Schneider and Rodenstock designed their digital lenses for almost double the lines per

millimeter of the regular lenses. Still should be pretty great for film too though.

Kevin, that's a great picture illustrating how an older lens is capable of, if used to its full potential. I just don't see how the 50/1.4 ASPH can improve on it (for the average photographer). As my golf instructor once told me, forget about the latest and greatest golf equipment. 99.9% of the golfers out there have yet to be able to use the full potential of a "starter" set of golf clubs, let alone trying to get into clubs like Callaway's exotic titanium "Big Berthas".

There's some similarities here between golf equipment and lens :):)

Nothing wrong with that crappy lens, Kevin.

People love to knock the old Lux because it was designed 40 years ago, but in every test I

have ever seen it either comes out on top, equal to or second to every other 1.4/50 out

there, except the new 1.4/50 Lux-R which eats all of them for breakfast. This new lens will

probably best the R version, simply because there are certain advantages you can design

in to a rangefinder lens, versus a SLR lens. Puts claims that the old Lux performs as a 2/50

Summicron v03 opened up a stop. I have a current Cron-M and R, a Cron-DR, a Lux and

until recently a Noct and trust me the Lux is no dog.

Also keep in mind that MTF graphs and ultimate sharpness isn't everything. The old Lux

has a certain fingerprint/signature that many people find very appealing, especially when

doing black and white work. The new Lux will be a high contrast, flare free design and will

lose the glowing med contrast/high resolution signature of the old design.

Of course you could ignore all of the charts etc. and simply shoot a good picture...

Feli

"Maybe Leica finally designed a 50/1.4 that can beat the LTM

50/1.4 Nikkor designed in the 1950's."

Well, I can see why people have come to rely on MTF charts, as

every other aspect of lens performance seems totally subjective.

I had the Nikon for less than a week, and was happy to see it go.

The Summilux, to my eye, is a much better lens, particularly

when shooting people.

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/nikoleic.html

Here's some good info on the 1950's vintage Nikkor glass. I'm sure the new Summilux has more contrast, if only from improved coating technology over the past half a century, but some of the older lenses really were very good! The 50/1.4 and 85/2 excelled in the near focussing range and I always regretted selling my 50/1.4 and black 85/2, but I did manage to find a chrome 85/2 with clean glass about 15 years ago.

Caveat: Won't the expensive liquid (probably high-end German beer dregs) surrounding this new lens floating elements encourage internal mold growth? And what happens if/when the liquid leaks or evaporates out and the floating elements can no longer float? Heh heh ...