London, June 8 - 13

jmw__

JMW,

While you are in one of the bookshops, you might want to check out "London Walks Volume 1" published by Penguin. It is one of a series compiled by TimeOut. The ISBN is 0-14-027897-4. Plenty of good walks to keep your boots in trim and your shutter finger snappy.

Try Zwemmers on Charing X Rd, then the Photographers Gallery Bookshop is pretty good (

also has the quietest cafe in the West End. You can't pass up the National Portrait Gallery,

then you could could cross the river to the Royal Festival Hall where the World Press Photo

2004 show is on, to finish you could wander down to the National Film Theatre and watch

the sun go down over the Houses of Parliament with a nice glass of vin rouge (or 3).

Just a thought...

My parent's live in London (I live in Canada) so I always have a list of places to visit everytime I go.

Number 1 on the list for my next trip is the Tate Modern.

I always end up at the British Museum to shoot pictures of the new roof and the atrium.

The Photographers Gallery near Leicester Sq tube is a must as well.

Other galleries: The V&A, Hamilton's, Micheal Hoppen, the National portrait gallery is showing Cecil Beaton's work, Zelda Cheatle Gallery and the Focus Gallery off the Tottenham Court Road.

There'a a lot to choose from !!

Have fun ...

When you've been to the World Press Photo exhibition at the Festival Hall, for a contrast keep on walking east for a half-mile or so the the Oxo Tower Gallery. Charlie Waite has some stunning landscapes on show there (till the middle of June, I believe).

Thanks for the very helpful answers!

I've also started a list of things that I'll have to look out for and buy. I've been searching

for a copy of Robert Adams's "What We Bought, The New World, and Lewis Baltz: Park City,

Contemporary Photographs," one of my favorite photography books. A friend of mine told

me that it's back in print, but only available abroad. Hopefully I'll run across a copy at one

of the stores mentioned.

I would also recommend the Tate Modern but only because they have an Edward Hopper exhibition on at the moment that i really want to see!

Oh, and bring an umbrella, 'cause you never know.

Unfortunately the excellent World Press Photo exhibition finishes today (6 June), so you'll just miss it. However, you'll be able to catch the Tina Modotti/Edward Weston exhibition at the Barbican. It's well worth picking up a listings magazine like Time Out, which will have details of all the major exhibitions (Time Out is weekly, and I think comes out every Wednesday). Note that the Zwemmer bookshop on the Charing Cross Rd has changed hands, and is now trading (pretty much unchanged) as the photographic branch of Shipley. Charing X Rd (very close to the Photographers' Gallery in Gt Newport St) also has Foyles and large branches of Blackwell's and Borders - all general bookshops with photographic departments that are worth a look (as is the flagship Waterstone's branch on Piccadilly). Most of the art galleries with an interest in photography (National Portrait, Tate Modern, V&A etc.) have pretty good photographic sections in their bookshops.