Tokina 400/5.6 RMS vs SD

mark_peters

I am considering the purchase of a manual focus 400/5.6 prime (for

Nikon)and see two variations offered by KEH.

One is the "RMS" variation and the other the "SD." (The SD is a bit

more expensive for the same condition.) In their photo, the SD has a

thin red band, the RMS does not.

Can anyone tell me the difference between these two Tokina models and

if you have experience with either.

The SD line is made with Special Dispersion Glass and has better image quality then the RMS which was a consumer grade offering. I have a 28-70mm f3.5/4.5 SD Tokina which is truely amazing it has become a bit of a cult favorite on the Yahoo Canon Fd group as a number of us have then and all agree it is well above average. I would assume the 400mm f5.6 from this same line would be of simular higher quality. The Tokina AT-X line (their manual focus as well as AF Pro line) Lenses also have this RED line.

In my time I have used both of these lenses. The SD (AT-X) model is far superior. It includes some type of low-dispersion glass which corrects for color aberrations associated with telephoto photography. The difference will be most apparent at wider apertures.

The RMS lens provides mediocre performance, whereas the SD lens is a very fine product for the price. I'd recommend the SD lens without reservation.

What Tokina calls SD is called APO by a number of other manufacturers. It is a technology to correct for chromatic aberation (http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/Chromatic.html), through the use of a special glass type.

I have owned both lenses at the same time, the Tokina RMC 400mm f/5.6 and Tokina SD 400mm f/5.6 in Minolta manual focus mount, and despite all the fuss that users and manufacturers make about APO/SD glass, I have never been able to see the difference in my results, which I found to be excellent with both lenses. Also, the lenses are indistinguishable apart from the red line and the labeling; ie they both have the same outstanding built quality.

I have since sold the SD/APO lens, but I can highly recommend either lens, and you might choose according to your budget. Keep in mind that the SD/APO lens is likely hold it's resale value somewhat better.

BTW - RMC stands for 'rainbow multi coated' ;-)

Trying to attach some pictures taken with the RMC version, taken on Fuji Sensia 400, Minolta X-570, Sunpak 444D. The second one is an enlargement from the first one.</p>

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL268/1923027/4156650/59622319.jpg</p>

http://pic9.picturetrail.com/VOL268/1923027/4156650/59622303.jpg