Will the 420ex work on Sony camera?

e_lin

My dad is considering letting me get a 420ex for my canon elan 7. I

was wondering if it would work on Sony DSC-v1/F717. when i use it on

digital, i don't really need all the fancy functions, probably

mostly using it as a fill flash.

Evan,I'll toss in my view. I have been researching questions like yours lately of compatibility and mating and just when I think I have it figured out I realize whoops I can't figure it out.Know this much. Sony entreats you to buy a Sony flash for Sony cameras. Canon same. And Olympus same idea. So what does Evan do? Buy a simple single auto matic little sensor window contact flash-at a small price. The center contact does the synch or triggering of the flash as you know. The others,as many as four more, are for other communications,such as flash ready light, what FL is the lens. And there is no standard config that I am aware of. Now, everbody probably need at least one simple flash with a single contact that you can use with almost any camera in Aperture mode. My latest recommendation is a Metz 34CS2 for digital cams. Is there a mode like manual on your 420 that will work, and not short some contacts on the Sony-maybe, someone else will know better than I. I have the now old Canon 540EZ.Nice, but not for my digicam by Oly. The Metz, or a late model Vivitar 283 or similar will work, that I can tell you,fingers crossed. Advantageof the Metz is that it has a slave built in for slave work. Owners of the 420EX may have better informed info, but ask whether the hassle is worth it. The Metz runs ca. 125.00 and is very small and handy.