Gitzo 1548 or 1549

jay dougherty

The G1549 is a G1548 with rapid center column. Both are 4 section legs (not 3). The G1548GT is the 6 section version.

I own a G1325 and G1410, have used a G1548, and played with a G1548GT.

The G1548 is only .5 inch taller and weighs 2 pounds more than the G1325 (58.3"). You don't gain much besides it being 3 inches shorter for transport unless you are putting something between 25 and 33 pounds on it and you have another leg section to deal with.

The G1548GT gets you 91.3" height but it weighs about another 1.5 pounds, about the same weight as a G1410 aluminum pod, so it is a beast to hike with.

Generally speaking, Gitzo model numbers that are one more than another model number are the same tripod with the center column added. You can always remove the center column, as the appropriate top plug comes with the columned model, thus converting it into the uncolumned model.

IMHO the two valid reasons for going uncolumned are: 1) price, 2) weight/bulk.

Thanks. I will be getting the 1549, since I use the center column.

I never understood how folks who don't have center columns adjust their tripod legs in-between the obvious extensions in those cases where they need to go up or down a few inches. I guess they just don't go up or down a few inches? If I had been restricted in this fashion, I would have lost many a great shot.

Anyway, I have the 1329 and use the center column all the time with my 500 f/4 with no adverse effects whatsoever. I just use proper long lens technique, resting my hand gently on the lens, and I'm good to go.

I've also used this tripod, extended, with the 600 successfully, but since I need another tripod, I figured I'd get the heavier one, for the really big lens.

If I ever did forego the center column, I would definitely get the model with six leg extensions for maximum height versatility.

• 3 weeks later...
Just curious if you got the 1549 with centre column, and how much difference there is in price with 1548. I use a 1548 and also have an old but revamped centre column (aluminium one with the big wing nut) from a studex 4 / 5 series, but I never seem to need it, and have pondered long over selling it. It's got new bushes and I had it re anodised in cool hammertone antique silver. If anyone's interested please contact me off forum.