Sphere Magazine Launches

<p><i>WHO IS A WEBSITE FOR ? VISITORS OR DESGINERS ?</i>

<p>Actually, it seems to be a DESIGN and fashion magazine... So eye candy is appropriate

even if it's less "usable".

<p><b>Aaron,</b> I enjoyed the mag but didn't like how it took over my screen.

<p>The "forced" ads don't bother me at all in this case since you can flip right past them

if you aren't interested - and linger if you are.

<p>Give me my news, forums, and reference material in plain jane HTML. But the web

would sure be boring if that's all there was.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<i>"Your Flash ain't nothing but trash"</i> Not Huey Lewis... "Your cash ain't nothin but trash" was Steve Miller... t<p>I leave flash off <a href="http://www.twmeyer.com">my site<a/> for the same reason I don't write pages of explanations... I want to be hired for the photos I make, not for my web design or my witty reparte'. Magazines are different, they want to showcase content, and design. Now I'll look at the site... t

after viewing the site, the flash design seems to negate the good properties of an on-line zine by trying to ineffectively imitate the experience of viewing a "real" magazine. Retro already? Unfortunately the experience gets old after a few pages of whoo hoo coolness. I would have liked to bookmark some of the content. I accidentally ended up in an Absolute ad when I miss-clicked. I was (however) able to take advantage of the download time to get some actual work done... t

I had a friend travel 1200 miles to do a photo shoot in another large city. A couple blocks down the road from the hotel, he went for breakfast. And his heart stopped. A restaurant had used one of his images for their entire graphical needs. The awning out front, the menu, their newspaper ads, their yellow pages ads, their business cards, the lot. All from a 'right click and save' from his html site. I had another friend get in contact with me two months ago, she moved to NYC and we lost contact, she hit the contact button and said "Hi, was surfing photo sites looking for an image to grab and came across yours. Nice site. How are you?" I myself have had Panasonic, a huge freakin corporation involved in image making, use one of my images in their newsletter promoting their new progressive scan 24p camera without asking me. At least a flash site slows some down, but there seems to be this schema that if it's on the net, and one can take it, then it's fair game. And a flash site make me sleep a bit easier. I built in flash for one, protect my images a bit better, and two, I hate using sites with back buttons and home buttons. <a href=" http://www.ericmilner.com "> Check me out </a> if you want and let me know, I'd love to hear it.

"Don't think that flash protects you in the slightest"

That's funny James. I didn't say that though, I said it slows some down. The higher quality way is grabbing the source. I also have software that records key strokes and activity...