portraits with hot lights and had good 11 x 14 prints made with

no "noise". Now that I have switched to strobes (Speedotron Force

10 or even an Sb-80 DTTL) I see horrible noise/pixelation. I tried

turning off sharpening and tiff instead of jpg, but the problem

persists. ISO 200 1/125 f8.

Is there something wrong with my CCD or is this as good as current

technology allows using flash?

Jeff<div>0077u1-16218584.thumb.jpg.7ffa43f58f8297a219fef513c5a66201.jpg</div>

Mark, the D100 syncs up to 1/180 second, so I don't think that's the problem.

Jeff, I usually shoot in 'raw' with my D100. I just looked at several shots with clear areas against out of focus backgrounds, shot with SB28 (not DX though I can't imagine how that could make a difference). I can't see any pixelation until I zoom in to at least 300% and then it's very fine and square shaped. That noise your examples show is really odd. If I didn't know otherwise I'd swear it was film grain...I'm sure part of it is that photo.net has further compressed your jpg examples, but you should be able to get MUCH better results than that.

Here is a 100% section of a closeup of some Vitamin E capsules. The only source of light was a SB28. Image capture mode was RAW, converted from NEF to photoshop using Adobe's builtin capture. It's been converted to JPG with adobe photoshop CS using 'save for web' option and quality of 80. I'll try to find one with a lot of blue too in case it's a channel issue.<div>00784b-16224584.jpg.a149a18ec5eac5e8537d3620460008e9.jpg</div>

Ok here's a shot that has some noise...but it is iso 640. Here are the details:<ol>

<li>D100

<li>SB28 flash (not dx)

<li>ISO 640

<li>Large Fine JPG

<li>100% actual pixel crop from photo. It's a closeup of an elbow in a velvet dress, red painted background just behind.

<li>converted to jpg using Save for Web in Photoshop CS.

</ol>

Is there any chance that your shots were at a higher ISO than 200 or that you were using small/basic for JPG settings? In any case it wouldn't explain the TIFFs. There's definitely something wrong though! I suggest you take a really careful walk through ALL of the menus and make sure that you don't have some rogue setting that's causing the trouble.

<p>I'd be really interested to hear when you figure out what's causing the trouble! Good luck with it.<div>00786M-16225784.jpg.f03528a62e982371a082f9ebab60d4f9.jpg</div>

Before you send it in, try a CSM "Reset". It's the button on top of the AC Adapter socket on the side of the body. That will clear any "rogue" settings. Can't imagine what they would be, unless you had Auto-ISO on and the strobes somehow underexposed...

Does the EXIF data suggest anything weird going on? Bummer if you have to send in for repair. (Mine leaves Thurs for Nikon Torrance,CA. Ugh.)

Well, there's different levels of sharpening, different qualities of JPG, different contrast levels. Doing a reset is a good bit of advice. Do you get the same noise without the flash? I think you don't but I'm not certain from your post. I wonder if it's possible that the flash is causing something to change in the camera settings? Seems like a long shot to me, but I can't think of what else would make your flash photos so different in quality from hot lights.

I don't have a D100 but I read in a review in one of the magazines that the D100 got dinged for being more noisy than other digital cameras. I have a Fuji S2 Pro, and I would definitely say that shooting in RAW format and converting in software is much superior to shooting JPGs in the camera. Everything that's been said before makes sense. Anything ISO 400 or above is going to generate some noise, but at your settings it seems excessive, unless the images are underexposed. In general, CCDs need a lot of light.