Fuji GSW690III fictions?

dante_stella

Interesting; my GSW690III arrived yesterday, and right off the bat I can see that many

things I have seen written about this camera are not very accurate, at least if you have

any familiarity with what preceded the Fuji III series.

(1) It's not that light. In fact, it weighs about the same as a GW670II, which is only

about a pound lighter than a G690 with a lens. The major weight savings seems to

have come with elimination of the interchangeable lens mount. Plastic covers do not

take much off the weight; they mainly stay nicer-looking longer and are less labor

intensive to make than brass.

(2) Contrary to popular perception, the camera is not made of plastic. The top,

bottom and front covers, as well as the wind lever, are, but the frame is still die-cast

and the back is stamped metal. The lens barrel is also metal (I can see that from

some pinpoint finish marks...). This was the same situation with the GA645 - people

think that because it has plastic covers, it must be plastic. Of course, plastic and

rounded corners makes it feel "lighter..." Erwin's "haptics" in action.

(3) You can see that the attachment screw locations for the covers have not changed

since the G690BL - telling me that this is probably the same or similar tooling for the

main casting.

(4) Why has no one ever mentioned that the finder is completely different from the II

series? The III series has an aluminzed Hexar-RF/Xpan style/Bessa R finder with

vernier focusing (totally superfluous for both the Mark III comes with). It is much

brighter but has lower image/rf contrast compared to the gold-coated finders in the

earlier cameras (gold spot on a bluish background). This new finder probably

explains part of the huge cost of this camera (the other being the naturally high price

of Fujinon MF lenses...)

(5) Why the funky "T" setting? I learned through some discussions with Greg Weber

in relation to some Koni-Omega stuff that the "B" setting on many Copal-type

shutters is activated by a pawl that can get bent if the shutter speeds are changed on

a cocked lens (regardless of what the speed is and what it is being changed to). Fuji's

T setting may be a response to that problem.

I own both the gsw 690 II and the gw 690 III.

They are basically the same camera with minor differences (besides the 65mm vs.

90mm lens)

1. the model III has easier to see framelines and focusing.

2. the model III has a bubble level on the top.

Both cameras are the same weight and size. The lenses are some of the best ever

made for sharpness and flare resistance.

The Mamiya 7 is nicer to hand hold, smaller, and lighter. Unfortunately, double or

triple the price of the fuji cameras with their built in lenses.

For those interested in these 6x9 rangefinder cameras:

I bought my first (90mm lens) thinking that I would use it for handheld work. Now

one can hand hold these cameras, but I discovered that due to slow lens f3.5 I was

not getting sharper images than I did from 35mm, just finer grained. This was due to

camera shake. I don't like to shoot in bright sun and I needed 1/60th sec exposures.

Don't get me wrong here, these photographs looked sharp, at a glance...

Then I started using a tripod. Wow - instant high definition. Now all my old 35mm

work looks soft. (I'd better stay away from view cameras).

So, the lesson I learned is that for handheld work, 35mm is best for me, but I still love

to use these cameras on tripods and hand held once in a while. My style of shooting

with the tripod is much more deliberate of course and I often find myself setting up,

but not making an exposure and moving on. I think that the $2/frame cost of the 690

cameras is in the back of my mind...

I pay 2$/frame, or nearly so, in Cleveland, if I don't do the work myself- nobody has a

machine printer for 6x9.

On the other hand 6x7, 6x6, or 6x4.5 is a delightfully cheap flat $2 for development,

and about $.45/shot for smaller prints...

You're right, it's a little cheaper than $2/frame. One roll of 220 color neg is about

$12 plus $6 for develop only. Printing my own inkjet contact sheet is about $2.

That makes 12+6+2=20 divided by 16 frames or $1.25 for each frame. Plus a little

more for archival film sheets for storing.

I have a GW670II and GSW690III, been using the 670 for several years and just got the 690. Enjoy using both of these cameras very much.

The 670 has produced some sharp photos hand held and looking forward to some tripod work with both cameras.

Both these cameras have their limitations and I can live with them. I know that 35mm has some very practical advantages over the Fuji's, but with the results I get from the 670 & 690 I have very little urge to shoot 35mm.

So I guess the important question is whether you can accept those limitations and enjoy what these cameras can do for you.

John, you are right; it does depend on the light level. The GSW690III is pretty hard to

focus even when the light is good, because it's something like a 0.5x finder and the

RF spot gets small too. It's better in the day; the GW670II gold spot is better when the

light gets poor. I'm not sure how I feel about the vernier focusing on the III; in my

tests, it didn't really add anything to near-focus accuracy (at least on film).

I'm considering purchasing a GSW690III w/ 65mm for both landscape/panorama as well as for shooting large groups at parties/reunions etc.

Have any of you used the GSW690 for these purposes.

I know this camera is discontinued but realistically what should I be paying for either a new one (if I can find it) or a used (in exc cond) ? What should I look out for if I find a used one in good shape?

Thanks

"I'm considering purchasing a GSW690III w/ 65mm for both landscape/panorama as

well as for shooting large groups at parties/reunions etc.

Have any of you used the GSW690 for these purposes.

I know this camera is discontinued but realistically what should I be paying

for either a new one (if I can find it) or a used (in exc cond) ? What should I

look out for if I find a used one in good shape?

Thanks"

I use mine for landscapes and general photography (non professional work).

Pros: Very sharp lens and great photographs. Low vibration shutter.

Cons: Can't use graduated filters for landscapes on a rangefinder camera.

Does not have interchangeable backs for quick re-loading for fast moving

professional work such as parties or events.

These are no longer available new. I bought mine recently on ebay for $750 but it

needed some repair which the seller helped offset. The foam lightseals had rotted

and the rangefinder needed adjustment.

There is a shot counter on the bottom of the camera which indicates # shots/10. So

keep in mind that fuji recommends shutter service at 5000 shots (counter reads 500)

and shutter replacement at 10,000 shots (counter reads 999). I don't know if parts

will be available for long, so keep this in mind. My gswII had 120 on the counter when

I bought it. I also bought a GW III (90mm lens) about two years ago and the price was

$750 with a counter at 30 and needed no service. (like new condition) I find that the

model II is pretty much identical to the model III. The model III just looks more

modern, but is likely to be much younger in age.

I don't find focusing these cameras a problem at all, but I usually shoot with a bit of

depth of field. I've been very happy with my purchases.