Used XL1 or New GL2??

downside_up_productions

I am putting together a wakeboarding video this year, to be released

in December. We have decided to put about $2000+/- in the budget for

a new camera (my ZR won't cut it). I have been looking at the XL1

and the GL2. I can get either for about $2000. Would it be worth

another $1000+ for an XL1S? I'd rather not spend the money, though.

All editing will be done with Final Cut Pro 4, which I already have.

I hate to keep harping about the Panasonic DVX100,, but I have worked with and do have at work the Canon XL1,,the Canon XL1s, and also the Panasonic DVX100,and the Panny is the top dog right now, the Panasonic is quite better in many respects that the Canon,ease of operation,, xlr connectors,, LCD screen ,,24p,,30p,,really good image quality.Leica Lens...etc, , the Panasonic has a LCD panel where you can get down low to get good wheel shots and foot action, plus the AF tracks focus really well, the camera in the cine mode is gorgeous, you dont have to do 24p or 30p in cine mode,you can shoot regular 525/60i. I did a skateboarder shoot last year with a betacam & the Canon XL1,, sure wish I had the Panasonic, because of the ability to track focus on close up pans, and the manueveribality of the camera, you can get really low,,which you need to do to get good shots of skateboarders as they zoom by.

http://www.panasonic.com/PBDS/subcat/Products/cams_ccorders/f_ag-dvx100.html

• 2 weeks later...

If you are used to photography and like the feel of a lens in your hand along with easy to reach manual controls and an open archetecture then the xl-1s is a winner. This is also the choice of many people used to shooting film - it's a shoulder mount camera - kinda.

If this is a one time shoot and you are not planning on investing in a 'system' then buy the cheaper GL2 or xl-1.

The panny rocks but it is out of your stated budget and overkill if this is a one-time video. Consider a rental if you need real progressive scan.

Hope this helps!

James

• 4 weeks later...

We had both these cameras in college(along with a VX2000 and a JVC dv500), so I got to use both a couple of times.

For a wakeboarding shoot I'd go with the GL2,its smaller,lighter,and has better autofocus if you'd shoot with it on, it's easier to do white balances with and you'll get a year warranty.

The XL1 didnt allow recording through the phono inputs, and in preview on a monitor, you need the remote to get rid of the info numbers, got stuck without the remote at a 3 camera mix to big screens, so the time/date etc was showing too.

XL1 Looks more professional tho!

I guess,just beg steal or borrow both before you buy,either way the difference in picture quality is unrecognisable

• 4 weeks later...
I'm with Bogan on the GL for shooting wakeboarding and the like. I have an XL1, which I bought about a month before the GL1 was anounced, and have used it to shoot surfing, wakeboarding, snowboarding, skating and motocross. For surfing and motocross the XL was great as everything was shoot locked down or where there was plenty of room. For wake, snow and skateboarding the XL can sometimes become a little to cumbersome. I've shot follow footage with a friends XM2, the PAL version of the GL, and it was so much easier duue to the smaller form factor. To top that off if you want to shoot from the water a housing for a GL2 is both cheaper and easier to handle than one for the XL1.