Canon EW-83II Lens Hood for EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 Lens -is it needed?

arunarchi

I have a EOS Elan IIE and am planning to buy a EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5

Lens - do I need a Canon EW-83II Lens Hood (or any other lens hood

for that matter) for this lens?? or is it a luxury - I am an amteur

photographer and like shooting landscapes.

Arun

Since you are shooting film in this time when everyone is dummying down to digital, one can safely assume you have high standards for image quality. As someone who does likewise and owns that lens, I would recommend the correct hood. The more elements a lens has and the wider its angle of coverage are both independent contributors to the propensity for flare, and the 20-35 has both. It's cheap insurance against flare. It will not help if the sun is in the shot though.

A quote from the old-news, long-disproved article Don linked to which demnostrates the crux of the fallacy under which the cretin who wrote it was operating in order to reach his hysterically ignorant "conclusion":

"Now enters the question of Sharpening. There are those that say that evaluations should be done on images that have had no USM applied. To this I say ? nonsense!"

As I have said many times, digital in its current guise (and most likely permanent, as it seems to have fooled enough fools to make it a sales success and that's all the manufacturers need)is a scam. The capture is woefully shy of anything approaching the detail of even an ISO 400 35mm film image. Convert a RAW file from a 1Ds without any sharpening and print it, compare it to a traditional darkroom print from a 35mm neg, and you will gag from that moment on every time some doofus utters the idiotic chant that digital matches film.