I'm looking at finally getting a good solid tripod for field work. I

have narrowed my choices down to the Bogen 3025G or the 3001BPRO

(black). First, let me say that I will not take suggs for anything

but either of these two models, so if you're gonna sugg a different

pod, don't bother wasting your time. I'm solid set on getting ONE of

these two. ALSO, don't bother to tell me to "just get both," cuz I'm

not in the market for both right now. (Besides, if I was just gonna

get both, I wouldn't be asking this question!) Also, please do not

sugg a head. I already have heads. Thank you.

Now, the question: For nature field work, which would YOU pick? I

also do "macro" work--insects, plant-life, etc.--so please take this

into consideration when answering.

I will be using either a Nikon F4s or N2000/2020 with this pod and a

3030 head. I will eventually wanmt to use med format systems as well.

THXIA

Well, I don't know how tall you are, but the 3001-series tripods may not be tall enough for you. I have a 3021PRO, I'm 5'11", and I find even it is a little too short. Also, the 3001-series may not be heavy enough for medium format work. However, between the two you mentioned, I'd got for the 3001BPRO, and get the leg protectors for it. This way, you'll have something grippable on the legs, like the 3205GN has, and you have the advantage of the 3001BPRO's ability to set the center column horizontally in the top clamp. That feature has helped me out immeasurably on my 3021PRO, especially with macro work.

The manoeuvrability of the center column is great for macro work with the 3001, but as the previous poster said the tripod is a little short - however that does help to keep its weight down. If you can live with that compromise then the 3001 is the tripod to get. Bear in mind that you're best not extending the centre column if you can avoid it, especially with longer lenses.

I use a 3001BPRO, which is perfect for my height 5'6". I do a lot

of close up work of nature, flowers and insects etc... and find this

a very handy tripod for most situations. Sometimes I improvise

or carry a smaller pod just in case.

A friend of mine bought this model and found it very unpleasant

to use.

I suggest you go into your local photo store with your gear and

play with both until you feel comfortable with one of them.

I hope this advice is of some help.

Cheerds Brent.

So how tall are you, anyways? that WOULD help to point out if you should even LOOK at these small of tripods...

I am 6'2" and use a 3205G(its not a 3025G, there is none!), and it is great!

Until i need my camera uup high! which the 3205G/3001's DO NOT DO VERY WELL!!!! they are only tall enough if you're (at most) 5'5" IMHO...

Verdict: out of these TWO, I'd choose the 3205G for its finish, built-in covers, and just really coolness... BUT that is me!

you probably need a taller pod!

Unless height is an issue, these tripods would be okay. Tripods are at their steadiest when the legs are not fully extended and try to never extend the center column. I'm over six feet so my 3021 was a bit short for me without extending the column a couple of inches. I now have a taller Gitzo without a center column at all. For macro work, a short tripod is not a problem.

Are you short, or do you enjoy bending your knees?

Those are the questions you need to ask before purchasing the 3001. I've used one for over ten years with a ballhead, and I LOVE this tripod. I don't mind bending my knees .....

It's a nice lightweight, tough tripod. Good for backpacking and hiking! It works quite well with a Mamiya 7 and a 4x5. Probably not with anything larger. I also use a 300 mm 2.8 lens freqently on this 'pod, and the 300 mm with a 1.4 converter. But you do need to counterweight the center column when the wind is blowing and you have a long lens mounted....

and...black might be "in" but how will you like it when it starts showing the scuffs? Just a thought.....

Be sure you wrap the legs if you will ever use the tripod in cold weather. Makes your hands much happier!

I owned the older 'Black' 3001. It is showing it's age, the leg slips out of the twist from time to time, I've had to replace several of the tightening screws and I broke off the camera carrying strap. All were easy inexpensive repairs, Bogen has been excellent about that.. I do think the new 3001 is a much better tripod. The new leg locks are nice, I do wish they still used the old tripod carrying strap. I shoot a lot of macro right on the ground, with my old 3001 I used to use a Bogen Super Clamp and ballhead. The new pro gets low, but I don't think it is stable unless you reverse the column. If you tend to not extend your tripod neck out one could just attach the new low adaptor to the tripod and leave the one bar home occasionally saving you an extra pound (but loosing the ppro's flexability). I do not know the 3025G (is that the right tripod? I don't see it in my B&H catalog)and since you've made it very clear you are not interested in anything else I'd say that it should be a great tripod as long as you don't want to shoot longer than a 300 f4 lens.

Thanks for all of the great responses so far.

Since height seems to be a big sub-topic here, and a perfectly relevant one, I can say that I'm about 5' 9 1/2" to 5' 10" with a good pair of hiking boots on. I also noted that some people have neglected to mention that the 3205G is the shorter between itself and the 3025GN. Didn't know if you all were aware of this too.

Also, please remember that I'm asking about the 3001B >>>PRO<<< and not the "vanilla" 3001.

I have the 3021 Pro and like it, so the 3001 gets my vote (unless you would like a taller model). I'm 5'8" and have situations where I wish for a taller model (on hills, especially). The new clamp tightens at the top and bottom to lock the extension tube more securely than the old design. I sometimes miss the spiked feet, and the aftermarket ones are no substitute. I wanted covers on the legs, so I went to my local bicycle shop for handlebar tape to wrap the legs. One package is enough if you are careful and only want 6-8" wrapped, otherwise get two packages. The tape has adhesive on the back to keep it in place, and I used black electrical tape to finish it at the ends.

Regards,

• 6 months later...
I was looking on google and came across this post. I am 6'6" and have been looking for a tall tripod and someone mentioned he is 6'1" and uses the 3001BPRO. Not to change the direction of the thread, but are there tripod legs that are 6 feet tall? so I can put a head on it and not have to bend over all day?

I used to have the old 3001. Never used the NAT version but to me, its feature are somewhat gimmicky. Pipe insulation does a better job than the "real" leg warmer and spike feet are not needed IMO. On the other hand, being able to mount the column sideways may be useful for macro as others have reported (mine didn't have that). A good two-way focusing may be better though.

Frankly, I'd pick the cheapest of the two.

Don't worry about height. You'll be bending your knees anyway for macro. I have a 3221 and I bend my knees constantly. Not because the tripod is too short but because the image says so, be it landscape, wildlife or macro.