Help with valuation: M4-P , 28/2.8 and Rokkor 40mm

Hi,

I need a little help here. I've been offered a M4P body and two

lenses but I'm not sure if the price is right.

For $2050, the offer includes the M4P body with 28/2.8 Elmarit and a

40mm CLE Rokkor.

The current owner bought the set new about 12 years ago but used it

only a few times before going back to SLRs. Its been in storage ever

since.

I know I should inspect the body and lenses before deciding but at

$2050, is it a good deal if all items are good to go?

Thanks very much for your time.

Be sure to factor a CLA into the price of the body. If it has set for 12 years, the lubricants will probably be a tad stiff. I sound like this would be a fair price. An M4P would be around $900.00 and the 2nd version 28 Elmarit around $700, with the 40 Rokkor around $200.00. A CLA will run around $200.00. If the equipment is in mint- condition, then the price would go up. My figures are rough estimates and others may get closer.

Cheers.

An M4P should be available in a very good condition for around USD 1000, but then you can also get a metered and newer M6 body for not much more. The Rokkors are available for about USD 400, the Elmarit should start from USD 600, all depending on condition.

<p>

I personally would rather go for a newer M6, and since I do not like the 28, I would skip this offer. The M6 plus an allround lens like the 40 should cost you about USD 1400 together, which leaves you with some money for a CLA on the body (which the M4P would also need) and some leftover money for another lens like the voigtlaender 21 wideangle or the 75/2.5 short tele which complement the 40 much better in my eyes.

If the lenses include hoods and caps it would really be worth it. Those things add up fast. Also, which model 28 Elmarit? Some are worth quite a bit. Last year I swapped, even up, a black first edition made in Wetzlar including hood for a cherry late model M2 body with a cherry 21/3.4 Super Angulon including hood. Of course we both got the best end of the deal ;-)

I think the price is too high. I figure about $1800 for ex+ condition, maybe $2000 for mint- or so. A CLA should be factored in. If the 28mm is a version II, it's not as good optically as a III or a IV. If it's a I, you can't meter with it; not a problem with an M4P, which lacks a meter. I might add that my M4P, although I like it very much, sees less use than my M6's. The benefits of in-camera metering should not be underestimated!

Elmarit version does matter. I sold an average (perfect glass) ver. I for $1250. Who knows how much a mint one would go for.

I still have one bought on this forum in better condition. I like the results better than the ver. III I had. Ditto, the ver. I 35 'cron and 21 SA over the newer are better models, really. Maybe I got cherry samples of the "old" designs and lemons of the newer designs. I may sell the 28, as it's pretty close to the 35, so I don't use it much. But, don't look for it here.

Bought new about 12 years ago: The last version (v4) of the 28/2.8 Elmarit was introduced in 1993, so it could be either v3 or v4. Both are excellent optically, although v4 is worth a little more. The values in E++/mint- are probably in the range of $ 800-1100 or so, It's hard to say exactly the value of the kit because cosmetic/functional condition are important. The M4P could be about $ 800-1100 (latter for near mint in box, which is hard to find with an M4-P).

Al. Yes a first version black (all were black) 28/2.8 Elmarit engraved Wetzlar (there were about 200 or so made, all with SN 206xxxx, dating to 1964) is worth about $ 3000 in mint condition (maybe more if you find a well-motivated buyer). The v1 28/2.8 Elmarit Canadian lenses are rare enough (all made in small numbers), the one from Wetzlar is a Holy Grail of collectibles.