Sigma 28-70 2.8

john raasch

I have a few lenses, two are Sigma. I have a 28-70 f2.8 and a Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4. The 28-70 is pretty good. Its heavy and feels a little bit too big on my Nikon F80 (N80), its a lot better on my F100. The overall build is really good. I really like it, its focusing ring is really big and its really handy.

It is 77mm thread which is a little bit on the expensive side. Overall I am really happy with it. But,

I have noticed some really heavy distortion (barrel) at the 70mm end. I shoot wide open most of the time and have had some 10*15 prints. And i am happy. The edges are a little bit soft, but that has never bothered me.

Its a cheap lens and I think that its really good value. The only thing that lets it down is the fact that its pretty big and the distortion i mentioned. But i am sure that people will post after me telling you of the merrits of Nikkors and Canon's, but I am happy with it and use it 50% of the time.

I am sure you will be happy with it.

rob

ps.

as for the size thing I like big lenses. I cant stand using my Nikkor 50mm f1.8 on my Nikon F100 (with mb-15 grip). Its so small! Its too small to use it well. So I think you might even like the big size, I guess it will depend on your camera body.

Here's an interesting comparison against the new tamron 28-75 XR lens

<BR>http://photography-on-the.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20941&highlight=

<br> besides what the others said-i recall there used to be two versions of that sigma lens,The normal f2.8 model then the better EX version.<BR>

That was a year ago...not sure where the DF fits in.Maybe the EX version has duel focus as one of it's features?

There's the old Sigma that looked really ugly and was completely black. I have no experience with this one. The second one is the non-DF, EX version. I have this one and it's lovely. For $200 USD, it's a steal! The DF version (the current selling one), as I understand it, HAS THE SAME OPTICAL FORMULA AS THE SECOND ONE. Look at the chart at www.sigma-photo.com and compare the stats to the second version. They're all identical!!! And unlike AF-to-HSM, AF-to-DF doesn't require an optical design overhaul.