I wonder if flash bracket and a diffuser like lumiquest promax are

must for a wedding. I'll be shooting wedding this weekend, I have

camera flip bracket, but i don't like using it, it slows me down, and

diffuser cuts down the light by 2 stops and the distance too. it will

be in catholic church, pretty low light. any suggestion / tips? when

to use TTL or manual flash? what ISO with flash? I have tried at the

same church without flash, ISO 1000, F3.2 1/40 sec, seems still under

1 stop.

I use d100 with sigma flah 500 super dg.

thanks alot in advance..

Try bounce flash, I love it. I have no bracket or diffuser bouncing makes it soft and nice. Depending on ceiling height and walls, their color, etc. I guess it depends on how much ambient light there is to as to what ISO to shoot at. Ideally of course the lowest you can get away with in the given situation. Shoot on continuous mode when the lighting is low and you wanna be sure to get a sharp shot. And at key moments. adios

Don't know if I can help here. I use the Sigma ef 500 Super DG with EOS 10D and everytime (99% of the time) I bounce the light it usually underexposes by almost 2 stops (although it looks good on the LCD) If I use direct flash it of course comes out harsh and blueish. I did try using a homemade bouncer, I cut a strip of card stok as wide as the flash and about 5 inches long so that it extends about 3-4 inches above the flash. I point the flash straight up and attach the card with a rubberband, this creates a 20/80 flash and seemed to work real well in tests. I then cut a longer piece of card stock and made a softbox to go over my flash head again attached with a rubberband (I did not tilt 45 degrees like an omni) and that seemed to work really well also but then while I was still testing it the flash stopped working. Once I send in for repairs I will try again. Like I sadi, I don't know if this helps.

thanks guys for the tips.

bouncing is impossible there, because of high ceiling, about 10 m, so diffuser is a must.and Kevin, i'll try that setting, good thing I use d100 so i can check. is bracket a must? like i said, i don't like using it, slows me down. do you guys use it alot during wedding? when to use TTL or manual flash?

thanks.

Don't use a flash bracket if you don't care that verticals have cast shadows to the side of your subjects. If you care, then the bracket is pretty much a necessity. Like the person who posted the previous question, I am confused about which part of the wedding in the church you are talking out--processional/recession, ceremony itself (usually no flash allowed) or formals. Techniques vary. If you have tested and trust your D100 and flash combo, then use TTL, if not, use manual. You say it is mostly underexposed. Have you checked the histograms and are sure they are underexposed? If so, then compensate. Would help if you explained what part you are asking about. By the way, I have heard that Denis Reggie, who uses a D1s, does not turn his camera for verticals but relies on the great resolution of the D1s to crop vertical images from his horizontally shot frames. Don't think you want to do that with a 6 megapixel file but maybe just for candids you know won't be blown up big.

You are using too fast of a shutter speed. For the weddings I do in very low light, when I am on the tripod and using 400 speed film I am usually shooting at 1/8th of a second, and when handheld no more than 1/30th of a second. even though you are using a flash, you will not have good exposure in those portions of your photgraph that are quite a ways beyond your subject due to the inverse square law. Of course, the other thing to do is to get another light and either slave it on a tripod or have an assistant carry it and point it where you need light.

Kevin

I use a pro-t stroboframe and like it for the shadow reducer and also because it gets

the light source higher up. I am 5'5", so that helps with taller subjects. I also use a

diffuser and love the look it brings for closer portrait shots -I like how it cuts the flash

by a stop or two and I don't compensate. However, I take it off for big group shots or

far away shots.

OK then I will have to use bracket and diffuser. in certain moment, flash is not allowed, so I'm gonna have to use slower speed and tripod, is monopod enough? I'll be using 24-70 f2.8 lens, what do u think the slowest I can use with monopod? tripod is kind a too much hassle. My sigma flash is also broken, it won't fire, I opened the head, and found a broken cable/wire, i'll fix it. I'll compensate the camerA. My histogram mostly on the left side, so I need to make it to the right, is that correct?

thank you guys for your tips...

No problem Colleen and Michael. Here's an even more comprehensive break down of the

bracket and diffuser system I've come to prefer based on field use of many systems. I

found it to be the most versatile, lightest and fastest of any I've used so far. I'm sure

other's exist and are also effective.

This system is very fast for set up and break down ... thus eliminating the usual PITA and

inconvenience that most bracket pose when shooting weddings.

DIFFUSERS: I use both the Stofen (shown on camera) and the LumiQuest ProMax UltraSoft

(inset) depending on the situation. If there are a lot of lightish/neutral surfaces for light to

bounce off of, or I'm outdoors using fill, I use the Stofen. It's a smaller light source thus

harsher compared to the LumiQuest unless it's bouncing off walls. For all other situations,

I use the LumiQuest. I also use the LumiQuest when using wide angle lenses with the

flash's 17mm diffuser pulled into place. If you use TTL or ETTL properly, it does not

underexpose, nor do you need to compensate it. TTL is TTL, it reads the light and

increases the flash duration to make up for the diffusion. It does however reduce the

effective distance, so pay attention to your flash read out or the histogram (not the LCD

image).

BRACKET SYSTEM: Like Mary Mc Henry, I now exclusively use the Stroboframe Pro T flip

bracket, and all the do-dads that they make for it. You hold the camera normally as

opposed to holding the bracket. Note, the Press T also works IF you are using an off

camera cord as opposed to a transmitter. If you use a transmitter the Press T height

extension arm won't go high enough to clear the AF IR beam and the camera won't focus

well in the dark.

Marked with RED numbers:

1) quick release for the flash shoe. Since Canon has idiotically seen fit to NOT provide a 1/

4" receptacle for a light-stand mounting or bracket mount, you have to use this. 2) Quick

release bracket mount. This allows you to swiftly remove the entire flash for hand holding

any where you want. Push up the little lever on the end and it slides right off. 3) Canon's

ST-E2 Transmitter. Eliminates any cords and allows you to remove the flash and hold it

high above, way below, or off to the side of the camera for effect. It'll control up to 4

EX flashes and allows setting those flashes to different out-puts all while maintaining ETTL

control. It also allows setting different channels so if you're shooting with 2 cameras or

with another like equipped photographer (which I often do) one isn't triggering the other.

4) Flip out arm on stroboframe Pro T. Because the Pro T Bracket has a built in quick release

plate of it's own, there isn't a nut head protruding from the bottom. This allows you to set

the camera down upright. The flip out arm keeps it stable when the rig is top heavy.

Marked with YELLOW numbers (bottom photo):

1) Anti-twist plate. These are made for each specific camera and assures the bracket

doesn't twist under pressure (which it will with-out the device in place. 2) universal quick

release plate. I've found that the Gitzo Ball head will accept this plate so that's the head I

use on my wedding tripod and monopod. 3) Quick Release unit. Spring loaded and fast.

Quite sturdy.

Hope this helps in some way (and I hope it doesn't get deleted after all this work ; -)<div>008a8X-18427884.thumb.jpg.fefec1faf83aba20890772a97ba428e8.jpg</div>

Wow! Thanks Marc!!! I wanted to get a bracket before I go to my brother-in-law's wedding to try it out and I couldn't decide which one I wanted to get. I've heard so many people use the Pro-T that I thought I'd give it a try. I have a Stofen diffuser, but I loved the photo you posted of the brides dress with the Lumiquest. If only I lived in a town that had someplace I could buy all this stuff. I guess I'll drive another 3 hours. :)

Okay, so tell me if I have everything. I need an off camera shoe cord, the bracket, the flash shoe mount and the quick release thing and the anti-twist plate for the camera. I looked at the different plates, but none of them specified the 10D. Is the generic one made for most 35mm cameras okay? Or will a different one work better? Do you know? Thanks Marc!!! Or anyone else who cares to answer who knows what they're talking about!

Thanks Marc, you're a big help with the product shots (mostly better than my best tries :)).

Colleen, the one thing you didn't mention is the quick release for either the flash or the camera.

Yes, the generic 35mm anti-twist works great. I have the same aexact system as Marc.

I have used it for all my (digital) recent work and love the speed/flexibility. Watch out for the cord, I hear they are prone to let your flash go every so often. The ST-E2 is the preferred method here.

I have not used the lumiquest ProMax so that is another added item for your list, Colleen.

I use a larger strobe and umbrella if I need broader light. That is only because I already have lots of them and I havn't liked the velcro on the 550ex idea (sticks to the sides in my cases).