This despite the fact that the images are first converted to the

Adobe RGB color space, and also despite the fact that I save the ICC

profile with my images.

Any idea ? how to avoid that ?

Thank you for any suggestion.

Sincerely,

Sacha

If you're losing saturated colours, try one of the following:

Before "save for web" save a permanent copy of the image and then use the Convert Profile option in the Image-->Mode-->Convert to Profile on your working image. When you get the options for converting choose sRGB and make certain that the Intent is set for Perceptual.

Perceptual Intent tries to keep the overall look of your image. If its set at relative colormetric then you'll see a much more dramatic shift in your colours on saturated images but not much shift at all on unsaturated images. That's because relative colormetric retains the in gamut colours exactly but squeezes the out of gamut colours (the saturated ones) into the the nearest (duller) equivalent.

Alternatively you can set Photoshop's colour policies to Perceptual Intent for all rgb conversions. I think this will work too as the way I understand it, these policies cover all RGB to RGB conversions... but I'm not positive. Someone else can jump in on this point.

From what I've read, only Safari and IE on Mac recognise ICC profiles on the web. Not enough installed base to be really successful in controling how your image looks. In any case the web is not a control freak's dream set-up and images will appear to change (darker/lighter etc.) on different computers/monitors.

sacha....

you save it simply by clicking save for web option and keep quality 100 or 80 or 60 is enough ...there will be no observable loss of visual quality....choose ICC profiles...and progressive options...

after that if you find it eating more bytes just reduce the image size (not resolution...as it will be looked after by software)and save it again for web..iam sending attachments see and try to set those in your system...

alll the best..

durgaprasad<div>008XTi-18377784.thumb.jpg.1ec99aed5daa0bf67188137c2466512e.jpg</div>

Hi Sacha

This one took me ages to figure out and used to drive me crazy. There is still a subtle loss

of saturated colours because sRGB is a smaller gamut than Adobe RGB or ProPhotoRGB but

using Perceptual Intent yields nowhere near the loss of saturation that happens when

relative colormetric is used.

Best,

Eric

I've recently learned how important it is to be in sRGB rather than Adobe RGB,

no matter what other settings (ICC profile, etc.) may be included. I was losing

about 40% in saturation and contrast in Adobe RGB (wider must be better,

right?), and the different results under sRGB were amazing. I have two

images in my folder ("Hermit's Hut" -- a small hut under a large Ponderosa

pine on an open hillside) that show the difference: one in Adobe RGB and

the other in sRGB.

• 1 year later...
This question was boggling my mind too and I thank you all for helping me figure it out. What I am still thinking about is, that you do what to keep an original copy in Adobe RGB for printing, correct? The sRGB is simply better for viewing on monitors, or that is my understanding of it.