Canon i965 color management

It appears that the only way to get a good print from Canon i965 is

to use the Printer Color Management option as a print space (in PS7).

Soft proofs on screen look OK (either using custom profiles or the

Canon profiles), but print previews and prints are only good when

using the Printer Color Management.

Trying to use any other option (including all provided Canon

profiles) as a print space results in a lot of pink cast and color

shift.

In other words - it appears the the print is not color managed at all.

This is hard for me to believe (that Canon i965 only works in Auto

mode with Printer Color Management as the only option available).

I must be doing something wrong (BTW the monitor is calibrated, and I

am using Adobe RGB as the workspace, with ALL color corrections etc.

in the printer driver switched OFF. I do not do any color conversions

either).

So, how do I set the printer to actually notice what print space is

specified in PS7 ? How do I make it acknowledge that the Canon

provided profile is specified as a print space (or any other profile

for that matter) ?

i don't have the i965, but do use an s9000 and all printing is colour managed via the

os/applications, with the driver's colour options set to "none" and using custom

printer/paper profiles

i think you are doing things correctly, just as a double check to use colour

management with ps7 it is best to print like this...

1) in ps7 use the file->print with preview menu, select the source space as document,

set the correct printer/paper profile in the print space box, black point compensation

should be selected, use the relative colorimetric rendering intent [if you do not see all

these options you just need to tick the "show more options" box] hit print

2) now in the canon driver's options select the correct paper type and print quality, set

colour options to "none", hit print

...do not use the driver to apply a profile, it doesn't do it nearly as well

i'm using mac osx, but i think the ps7 and driver settings are the same for a windows

system

the effect you are getting sounds like double-profiling: my experience is that

unadjusted canon prints are greenish, so the pink cast you have would be the

expected result of over-correction

i do remember seeing a report that a canon driver does not work correctly, it alters

colour even when set to "none", i think it was for the i9100 but maybe it also affects

other printers in the same family

as an experiment try using ps7 to output a print with the print space set to srgb, and

with the driver's colour adjustment set to "none"

now repeat the print (still with the srgb destination setting in ps7) with the driver set

to canon's default "bj standard" colour setting

if the two prints look the same then it would show that the driver is altering colour

even when set to "none"

Thanks John,

I think that I have tried all possible combinations already.

The main issue is that the printer does not preview well (pink cast) even with its own profile pluggrd in.

For example: printing with a preview on PR-101 paper I specify the proper paper in the printer driver. The source is Document. Then I check the box in the driver to display the preview.

Depending on the print space, the preview (and the print too) are either good or bad: with Printer Color Management (in which case I assume that the printer will pick the proper color profile for PR-101 paper) I get a good preview and a good print: with Canon i965 PR1 color profile specified by me I get a bad preview and a bad print (and with any other Canon profile too).

I have found two identical cases on the net related to Epson 2200 printer: the trick to fix it was to Print with Preview, but leave the check box (display preview) unchecked.

When the preview was displayed, this was screwing the print. But with all other things being equal and with the box left unchecked, the print was OK (despite bad preview which was not displayed for the actual print run).

Well, it didn't work for me.

I am in contact with ColorVision people (all started from me being unable to use PrintFix profiles to my satisfaction, but on checking the provided Canon profiles they do not work either) and they are very helpful.

When a satisfactory conclusion is reached (or not), I will post the results.

For the time being, it appears to me that the fault is with the printer, not with PrintFix profiles, which give me a very nice soft proofs (so do Canon profiles).

But when it comes to preview, all profiles give a bad preview and a bad print...the only option is to use original Canon paper and Printer Color Management option for the print space.