An update from Denali for those coming this year:

We are in the midst of an unprecedented heat wave and drought. It has

been in the 80's for days and the last two days around 90,

unofficially 95 in one spot. The snowfed and glacial rivers are very

high and the runoff and spring creeks nearly dry. Animals are very

scarce as they seek relief from the heat and hordes of mosquitoes in

the west end of the park. The last two days the smoke from huge

wildfires to the north has turned clear days into acrid London-fog-

like days. The sun just a giant red eye in the sky near sunset.

Here's the thing to think about if you plan a fall visit. (If you

plan a visit soon, do something else.) Eveything seems two weeks to

three weeks early. Many of the wildflowers normally in bloom now have

already gone to seed. The Avens are all gone. AND the fireweed is in

bloom alrady. Plus I saw an aspen that has already turned completely

autumn gold!!! What this means for fall colors is anybody's guess but

you might think, based on what is going on, the colors will peak and

fade early. The meteorological report calls for no significant

rainfall until mid-July at the earliest.

TW

...and be prepared for anything in Alaska.

The year we drove up for a 'tour' at Eielson Air Force Base (1984) -- the local folks were p.o.'d at the weather service. Seems the 4th of July brought some frost and wiped out a number of tomato plans that could have been brought on the porch or indoors had the forecast been for a frosty morning.

Tom, bummer post. Planning on my first trip to Katmai & Denali (staying in Wonder Lake) in late July. If the weather changes by then, will the impact of the June heat still reduce the wildlife viewing? Been saving for this trip for years sure hope things change.

In reply to your question, it depends on what happens day by day. On a hot day you don't see much, then cool days after the hot spell, you see quite a bit more. This hot spell is supposed to last awhile. But if it breaks, with rain, things should return to "normal" except for the flowers and maybe fall colors. The smoke from the fires is so thick today you can not even see the mountains, and barely the sun, even though it is officially "clear." In 40 years here I have not seen it so thick as this...and HOT for so long. July is our "rainy" month usually.

You should go to Katmai first, if possible, then here afterward.

Good luck

TW

Thanks for the update Tom. I picked up mid-August dates this year ? I might get more autumn color then I anticipated.

I drove from McCarthy in the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park yesterday, and the smoke was so thick there you couldn?t see the sun. Even up through Eureka you couldn?t see the surrounding mountains. The temperatures in the Wrangells were as warm as I could ever remember, and the rivers were raging.

Tom is right about the shift in vegetation -- here in Fairbanks wild roses bloomed almost two weeks early, and the fireweed is blooming as it normally does in mid-July. Moreover, with the heat stress, trees are already shedding their leaves. Yesterday morning the visibility was down to about 200 yards with the smoke; it is up to about a mile today, and forecast to remain smoky thru the weekend.

Johnny,

I had heard reports that the road to McCarthy was in the best shape it had been in for years ? I can say those reports were accurate. I still think it pays to take is slow, it definitely reduces the chance for a flat tire. I did come across a truck that was leaking ATF at a very rapid pace, that was a good reminder to take it easy. The first part of September is a great time of year in the Wrangell?s, you should enjoy your trip.

Tom, I find your report extremely interesting. I have always associated Alaska with pleasant temperatures in July, it has been that way during my visits. I cannot imagine being at Denali when it is 90 degrees out there, the park would lose its charm to me. I was lucky that during the last year's visit to Denali in July, we even got a snowfall, the first one in July in 80 years! The temperature on that day only reached 42 degrees. Wishing that the weather improves for the sake of everyone and the animals.