ted_stoddard

Hello I was thinking about starting a project to photograph all of

the lighthouses in the united states..... if anyone has any

experience with this can you give me some advice....i dont know if

this is the right section to post it at......but im going to be

taking the photos with my kodak view master 8x10 camera.... i want to

be the first person who has done this if no one has done it

already.... thanks for your help..... Ted

All over the U.S. seems like alot, but if you have the time, go for it.

I live near Boston, MA. and visit Cape Cod alot. I know there are

some light houses out there. I would recomend doing this in the

spring and fall, as I know alot of beach places get crowded over

the summer.

I lived in Maine for most of my life, and we've got some great light houses up there, and though they're _very_ heavily photographed, not often all that well. I'd second the idea to shoot as much as possible in the sping and fall in the northern states, as the weather will more likely on your side than in winter, and the tourists won't be so heavy. Also plan ahead and contact the poeple/ogranizations who own and operate the light houses, as they're often not open at dawn and after dusk, so you may need special premision to be in at good times shoot.

Ditto to the "it's been done" theme. I've seen more than one book on the subject.

I would suggest that instead of photographing "all the lighthouses in the US", you work on "great photos of lighthouses". If you start trying to get every last one in the US, you'll wind up taking a lot of mediocre pictures "just to get that lighthouse". But if you have some lighthouses nearby, you can catch them at perfect lighting, perfect time of day, etc., and have better pictures over all.

For example- Bolivar Peninsula, near Galveston, Texas, has a lighthouse. It is basically a black rusty shaft, not very attractive unless seen in silhouette. I understand it is privately owned, so you can't get detail or interior shots. With the "every lighthouse" theme, you'd be taking shots of it, just to have it, instead of being at some neater spot.

I live between Corolla Light and Bodi Island light, and 40 minutes north of Hatteras Light. Here, late fall to early Dec. is good, for the reasons stated above. Although couple of weeks ago I did shoot Bodi Island Light on a nice balmy 70 degree day. The keepers houses and other assorted outbuildings make for nice subjects as well.

Two things to remember... WIDE ANGLE, LOTS OF RISE.

Lots of lighthouses are located in spots howling with wind. This may make the 8x10 a real handful. The last time I went to the lighthouse at Point Reyes (N. California), I swear the wind was literally 60mph, and steady (hard to remain standing). Therefore another factor to consider is what seasons and/or times of day don't have unreasonable wind conditions (e.g., don't come to Point Reyes on a summer afternoon!).

In general, I am in favor of large, exhaustive projects, so I say go for it. Even if you don't end up with a good shot of every single lighthouse, you doubtless will get some good stuff. Focus and direction are good things.

At Point Reyes, you were lucky it wasn't a 60mph wind combined with 4-foot visibility fog, Christopher. The problem with Point Reyes, of course, is that the weather 2 miles from the lighthouse can be sunny and relatively calm. Rather frustrating considering the long drive and the huffy-puffy hike to get there. ;-)

I, too, encourage the long-term project, Ted. You might want/need to add another distinctive element, such as 8x10 IR, to qualify as a "first", however.

Hi Ted,

It really doesn't matter if you are the first to do it. YOU have not done it, and unless you specifically try to copy the images of those before you, you will not produce the same results. At the very least you will a) have fun, b) have a good portfolio project, & c) have a project that keeps you busy photographing for a long time. And none of that is a bad thing.

Well I wanted to thank everyone for their feedback it always helps...Well for responses to some of the above answers i have been to maine and most of the north eastern states (i.e. Maine,Mass,New Hamp,and etc.) I also been to Point Reyes....and i hate windy days...but The idea of doing the lighthouses in IR well thats a very possibility....since i Love IR effects, and i love lighthouses.... i realize that Lighthouses have been done so much but i never heard of anyone doing it with a 8x10 camera....especially an antique like the Kodak View Master 2-d that i own.... well to each its own is what i say....but i am going to start soon and florida is my first state on the list....wish me luck and i will keep my progress up to date as much as i can.... maybe when all said and done.... i will have some great shots... to share with all... and if any ideas about filter use will be a great help to me....thanks again ted