New to me Omega DII

s._c.

I just received an old Omega DII on long term loan from a friend.

It came with two condensor sets in the metal barrels. One has a

large and smaller condensor lens for smaller formats. The other has

two large lenses separated by the scalloped metal ribbon. The

bottom one has the flat side down, convex side up. My question is

how should the top one face? In addition, is it normal to have long

exposure times with the head at a height for 5x7 using the wollensak

162 wide open? Could the bulb be getting old (I think it is a

75W)? This whole set up was in storage for probably over 15 years.

Thanks for your help.

The condensor configuration (based on my Durst) should be convex surfaces adjacent to each other(flat surface up and down). I imagine the D2 would be the same. I have a D2 but it is now a cold light head.

The long exposure times may be due to a light bulb of too low wattage. Again drawing from my Durst 5X7, I use a light bulb of 500 watts. Beyond that consideration, you may want to look at how dense your negatives are. Additionally, enlarging 35 mm or 2 1/4 on a 4X5 enlarger will require lengthier exposure times then a 4X5 negative. I don't know if any of this applies to your particular situation but it may be some things for you to check out.

The 4x5 negatives are well exposed. I had some prints done at a lab previously and they turned out nice. I was getting exposure times like three minutes wide open and it didn't seem right. I'll try to get to B&H for a replacement bulb and eventually a better lens. I also have a C760XL Dichro for medium format and 35 stuff. Thanks.

Hello..........

Alot of good information on the DII and D2 can be found at www.classic-enlargers.com There is a Help Forum there; Harry Taylor is very knowledgeable about Omega models.

The correct bulb you should be using is the PH-211, 75-watt bulb. Of course, regular household bulbs are OUT, because of uneven light illumination. Most good photo shops carry the PH-211 and they are not expensive at all.

Hope this helps.

The D-2 was designed for the ph111, a 75 watt, bulb. Higher wattages may overheat the socket unless you provide additional cooling.

Buy a new bulb. Test the bulb outside the enlarger or in some other device to see if it seems to be as brighr as a 75 watt bulb. The bulb must be in a NECK UP and GLOBE DOWN position or you may instantly blow it. I have had this happen. If the bulb is bright in another device and dim in the enlarger, check for an electrical problem such as a partially broken chord or corrosion in the socket.

75 watts is pleanty of light for this machine, especially for 4x5. My prints go about 22 sec at 16 or 11 for 8x10. 35mm is 22 at f8.

When you clean the condensers, treat them like a lens. Scratches and nicks will show on prints. To reassemble. put the bottom one in the collar and lower the top into the collar using two loops of string at right angles. New condensers ar $75 or more each. Careful!

I have this enlarger, a well built tank.

What condenser set are you using with the 162mm Wollensak? You should be using the large set (6 1/2" diameter). The lens should be mounted on a 4" cone. This set up is for 4x5 negatives. What size negative are you enlarging? If it is 35mm, this might be the problem. For 35mm, use the smaller condenser set, two 3 1/2" lenses, flat side out, convex sides facing, and a 50mm lens mounted on a flat board instead of the cone. They way you described the smaller condenser set sounds funny. Should be two equal sized 3 1/2" lenses.

Brian

You have differnt condensors for different formats. I have heard of the mismactched condensors set, but never seen one. I have three sets, a 3 1/2 for 35mm, 4 5/8 or so for 120 (6x6), and 6 1/2 for 4x5.

The sets should be matched with the correct cones, matched with the correct enlarging lens (50mm 80-105, 135-150). Go to aforementioned site and purchase a users manual for this machine. Then get the right components for what you are printing. Or get a cold light head and be done with it. It's a good enlarger.

tim in san jose

I'll look to purchasing a manual. I was using a 4x5 negative, the larger condensor set (I had mistakenly put the top one convex up, but I corrected it), and the 4 inch cone. I also purchased a set of Ilford multigrade filters for it. I think a contact cleaning, a new bulb, and more testing will help. Thanks for all your assistance.