Photoshop CS save as command crashes program

Hello, is there anyone who can help me here? I am running Photoshop

CS on a PC with XP. When I select "file save as" the program

crashes. I have tried uninstall reinstall but that made no

difference. It was working OK for a week or so after I installed

it. I tried the adobe help line but help is not a word I would use

for the service I received.

What you are experiencing is a problem with your machine, not Photoshop. Hence why you were unable to find support for such a problem on Adobe's site.

You likely need some general disk maintanance. I recommend the following:

1) Run chkdsk c: from a dos window to do a quick check disk. This will located any errors on your drive.

2.) Run a Disk Defrag on your drive. You would be surprised how many different kinds of problems can arrise from having a disk that is too fragmented.

3.) Delete your temp files (both on the root of C and in %system%), Delete temporary Internet files.

4.) Go to download.com and download Ad Aware 6. Install it, make sure you do you "check for updates now" after install, and run the default scan. This will clean 99.9% of all spyware on your computer, which can also cause a million different symptoms.

I've just run across the same problem. In my case it is that Explorer crashes when trying to view/preview certain TIF files (that happen to be in the same folder that I am saving to) and Explorer is what is used by the standard Windows open/save dialogs.

<p>

You can verify that you have the same problem by using Explorer to view the folder and watch it crash. There are a number of web pages documenting this problem with solutions, but none have worked for me. The only thing I came up with was to move the images to another folder that is not setup to preview the images (i.e. just some ordinary folder not associated with "My Pictures" or whatever).

<p>

The images causing the problem for me are large scans which are 300MB or so uncompressed and 100MB compressed using LZW compression. Not sure what exactly about the image files causes the problem.

Thanks for the all advice. I think I have fixed the problem. It seems that there was some sort of corruption within the directory I was using for storage of processed images(My Pictures). I moved it and created a new directory after doing the routine system checks suggested above and so far everything is OK.