Value of early chrome Summicron 35 w/eyes

I've read some of the threads on this subject, but I still am not

sure I understand. I have a chrome 35mm Summicron, excellent

condition, with eyes, serial #1996xxx. I was going to trade it in

against a 35mm Summicron ASPH, but was offered so little ($200-$250)

that I've kept it. I understand that these lenses have the

Leica "glow", what ever that is, and I expected it to be worth

more. I'll probably just keep it, but is it really only worth $300-

$350 retail?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2978099487&category=30030&rd=1

Here's one currently on ebay; watching for the final price ought (but not always) give some indication of market value. "Glow" might refer to tonal gradation, which some say is nicer with the older lenses, particularly 35 Summicrons. Some are of the opinion that current, particularly ASPH lenses, are "too sharp" whatever that means.

If you want to sell let me know!

Cheers, David

I own several mint Leitz lenses from the 50's and I treasure them. As time goes by, they become to me ( and maybe to others) more valuable and I get more attached to them compared to other lenses I own. They are a part of Leica history that will not be repeated. The lenses are works of art. Of course I use them but I make sure to keep them in mint condition. Believe it or not, but my wife who does not do any photography at all is the one who has insisted that I reduce my use of these lenses and the M3 camera so that they stay valuable for years to come. Mint condition 50's lenses are to be enjoyed and treasured. I paid about 15 years ago maybe $1800 for a M3 camera and 35/2, 50/2.0, 90/2.0 and 135/4.5 lenses with boxes and even the receipts, plus all kinds of accessories. The previous owner bought the equipment from Germany where he was stationed in the 50's, and he took the camera out once a year and exercised it at home (without film). Money comes and goes, but such equipment is rare to find in such a condition.

Hmmph. With a wife like that, I would insist that I reduce my use of her so that she stays valuable for years to come.

I'm in the market for an early chrome 35, and Stephan is right about the eyes: many more offerings, and cheaper. Nonetheless, I'm avoiding them.