Ilex #4 mounted on extra board if necessary. I�d definitely want

padded bag, so that possible smaller impacts wouldn�t hurt anything

inside.

I�ve seen some images of Lowepro Mini Trekker with 4x5 field LF

cameras nicely fitting inside, so I though that this model could be

an option. B&H sells �Classic� for around $80, Freestyle seems to

have the same item (maybe newer model according to mfr #) for $120;

Badger sells �AW� (all weather?) model for $110�. Could anyone please

comment on this backpack with regard to Shen-Hao carrying capability?

Are there any other, better options beside Mini Trekker? I don�t have

strict budget, but don�t see the reason to spend too much if basic

model such as Mini Trekker would be sufficient.

Thanks for advice in advance.

Dave

Hello Dave,

I would recomend the AW version of the MiniTrecker. I have my Shen-Hao in there together with a 150 mm and a 210 mm lens 6 sheet holders, two filters, light meter, hood. There is still a little space left. Don't buy the classig, because it lacks the tripod mount, which is the real advantage of the MiniTrecker.

Have fun.

Robert

When I first started LF with a 4x5 Tachihara, I used the Minitrekker(non-AW). My stuff includes, 2 lens (90mm & 210mm), 4 filters, a 4x loupe & 2 film holder. After some weeks of shooting, I find out that the Minitrekker is already packed to its full capacity.

So, I upgrade to Photo Trekker(non-AW) & its very comfortable for me, as it gives me some extra space for other things that I might want to pack for a short trip.

Hope you do consider carefully before buying your backpack.

My own experience is that if I buy a bag of any kind to fit particular gear, it soon proves to be too small!

Do my requirements expand to fill the bag, or is this just a natural phenomenon? Only the photo gods know!

But why not get a slightly larger pack than you feel you need at the moment? After all, wouldn't it be nice to pack a few sandwiches as well? And of course, there is the question of the #4 Ilex shutter. It's a wonderful contraption that could end up taking up a little more room than anticipated.

But seriously folks, I've used one of the smaller Lowepro packs with a Speed Graphic and a few lenses, holders, meters, etc., and it works just fine. But I start to run into problems as soon as I decide to take along anything bigger than 4x5, even a 5x7 field, which just ain't that much bigger. So a little bigger might just be better.

And besides, there's one choice I hate to have to make: Bring the lens, or bring the sandwich? Oh, jeez, lens or sandwich? Sandwich or lens?

Oh! And what about beer?

I went with a non-photo backpack. I got a Kelty Trekker 4900 external frame backpack. It is a top loader for the camera and has front load for lenses and film etc. The reason for my choice was the external frame. It keeps the pack off my back so on warm days the air circulates across my back and it is a lot cooler. It is also shock mounted and suspends from your hips not your shoulders. I attach the tripod with bungee cords across the bottom of the frame. If you plan on any lengthy trips consider packs made for hiking.

I have the older "Classic" mini trekker. As stated above the new one has a real nice tripod mount. I would find the Trekker to small for 4x5. Yes your outfit would fit, for now. I use mine for MF and it's just big enough. I sure would like the new one for my tripod. Hint, hint. Bypass even the Nature bag and step up to the Photo Trekker. Or something else that size. Now you can carry a poncho, a bug jacket, water, granola bars. If you don't think you will ever be in a bug infested swamp in a thunderstorm, at lunch time, your not a real photographer.

I have a couple of Lowepro backpacks. The smaller (micro and mini) Trekkers are fine for 35mm and medium format. The larger one that I had used for larger format is too large and bulky. You might want to hunt around for a backpacker backpack that will be lighter and smaller. You can always devise a system of cinch cords and latches with which to attach a tripod. When backpacking, every few pounds counts, and going from a close to 10 pound backpack down to one that weighs no more than two or three pounds can make a big difference. As for padding, you can improvise. I use the insides of an older Tenba case to hold the camera and light meter. The rest of my stuff goes in small bags. So far, my system works great and is much lighter than my original setup. If you go this route, you will have to decide between a top-loading versus back (or side) loading pack. Mine's a top-loader and it works fine, but it's quite difference from a typical photo backpack.

Thank you guys for your numerous opinions - a few things to consider certainly; currently I'm not planning longer then 1/2 day hikes for now (not during the summer anyway, because temperatures are too high in my area, some 100-120F during the day), so I need as light equipment as possible and donメt plan to carry more then absolutely necessary. As long as the backpack fits the minimum of required gear, I should be fine with it. To get the waterproof (AW) bag is probably a good idea though, because I can't eliminate the possibility of sudden storm; they're not frequent down here in the desert, but they could happen in the mountains which are relatively higher elevation (9000ft+).

Well I'll think it out - I'll look in a few retail locations as well whether they have something in stock - if not, I'll order online. At least I know that mini trekker series is suitable; I could also buy slightly larger backpack such as mentioned photo trekker or similar, and not pack it full (hope the camera wouldn't wobble inside the half full bag though)...that would give me more options if needed, as long as it wouldn't be too bulky.

Thanks!

Dave

I've got the same setup you do plus a roll film holder and more filters and accs. Attached

is a pic of the older photo trekker full with Shen-Hao. I also carry my lens in the camera

and tripod on shoulder, it's too heavy for this pack and bounces. I put my t-shirt dark

cloth on over the gear to pad it. Film holders go in the outer pockets on the hinged

portion of the pack. I would also check out the large or xlg F64 backpacks which come

with grey film holder pouches and can be purchased directly from the company. The xlg

is big but leaves room for food and clothing.

I have an older version of this front-loading Kelty pack which seems to work well:

http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm?fuseaction=Packs.ShowProduct&type=pack&ID=152

I use the side cinching straps to vertically carry my heavy Bogen 3021 tripod with a way too heavy 3-way pan-tilt head. Run the straps beneath the leg pivot point and under one of the legs so that the tripod doesn't fall when the straps get a little loose.

Some other ideas which might be helpful, or even mildly entertaining:

1. I happened to have a square piece of Tupperware laying around which perfectly fit my lens mounted on a board.

2. A little more foraging in the kitchen, and I found another container which holds 2 Quickload film packets.

3. A square Arctic Zone (purchased at Wal-Mart) lunch pack is a perfect lightweight case for the Shen-Hao, which only fits into it one way. I cut a 6.5 x 7 inch piece of 1/8 inch tempered hardboard and slipped it into the inside mesh pocket of the lunch bag to protect the ground glass from breakage. Hardboard can be found at any home center, but they may not be able to cut a piece that small or that precisely.

The Lowepros dont work for me. I use a panel-loading technical daypack, better suspension, lighter. Go to Walmart, HD, your kitchen as previously suggested, to customize. www.northernmountain.com has a good selection of packs, where i bought mine

do a search, this has been a frequent topic in LF the last couple months...in fact i found the northernmtn store based on someone else's recommendation

I started 4x5 with a speed graphic loaded into a Lowepro Micro trekker 200. I upgraded to a Tachihara awhile ago and also upgraded my backpack to the LOWEPRO PHOTO trekker AW II. I carry the 4x5 camera, 6-10 holders, 90mm f8, 150mm f5.6, meter, Harrison darkcloth, three filters, and usually another "hand camera". Usually an M6 with a trio of lenses, sometimes a Rollei TLR, and rarely a full Nikon Slr kit. The nikon only makes trips that I don't have to do a lot of walking. I travel to my locations by car or boat. This pack is very comfortable once you figure how to ajust it so that the weight is on the hips and NOT the shoulders. I can actually carry the Fully loaded, much larger photo trekker, for longer than the smaller Micro trekker. The photo trekker put the weight on the hips while the smaller pack forces me to carry the weight on my shoulders. Attached is my photo trekker.

Before you buy anything, especially any LowePro model, do a search on e bay. There are a number of places that sell new back packs on e bay with "Buy It Now" prices quite a bit lower than places like B&H and maybe Badger also. I have a LowePro of some model, I forget which (I can never keep all the AW/Trekker this/Pro Trekker thats in mind but it's one of the larger models). I searched e bay and found a dealer selling it there for about $50 less than the B&H price which up to then had been the best price I found. This was about a year, year and a half ago.

After thinking about that again, I'm leaning towards getting maybe a slightly larger backpack, such as Nature Trekker AW II - it is the next size after Mini Trekker, and it seems to offer more space and better carrying comfort (waistbelt) - that should be big enough for most stuff I'd ever want to carry at once for 1-day trip.

I have small 35mm SLR pouch/bag by Lowepro already, and it is manufactured and padded very well - that was one of the reasons why I was considering the same brand. I checked eBay too, yes there are good deals. Also, thx for the images!

Dave

If you're considering buying a LowePro, check out prices up here in Canada, they are significantly cheaper than even B&H.

I considered a Commercial bag for my Linhof TK45S, but realised that my PhotoTrekker would be hard to beat ...

I wanted to post the outcome of the thread - I just purchased Mini Trekker AW at the camera store (supporting local business that way at least), and loaded it up. They had all the other bags as well, but I found them to be a little too bulky (with the exception of Photo Trekker Classic, which I almost bought instead of this mini trekker).

The mini trekker offers enough room to take basic package to the terrain, but sufficient for one half to one day hiking.

I didn't fill any outer pockets, only main compartment. Enclosing the image for illustration - all fits nicely, and I'm looking forward to go out soon.

I figured that I may need larger bag if I'd want to take more gear, wanted to go for longer then a day, or would carry a larger camera, or multiple heavy lenses. For 1/2 day trip I feel pretty comfortable with this package.

Thanks to all for help!

Dave