R6 vs R7 vs R8

Natharit,

I am currently selling my R8 (black),50mm f/1.4 Summilux lens,motor drive and winder.All as new with cases/boxes/manuals.

I have had an R 6.2,and R7 and the R8 is much better than the R6.2,but similar to the R7 from a mirror vibration point of view.However the R8 has a mirror release which is extremely beneficial for slow exposures, timed exposures,etc.

I have an R6 and an R9, and both are very well controlled with respect to vibration. The R9

is the best very well controlled. The decision you make should be more related to features

than mirror-slap. The R6/6.2 and R8/9 are very different cameras. The 6 and 6.2 are

totally mechanical and work with out batteries. They are also more compact than the R8/9.

They have a spot meter and a full field meter, but do not offer any automatic exposure

features. They have speeds on the dial from 1s to 1/1000th (1/2000th for the 6.2). The

R8/9 are electronic cameras with speeds from 16s to 1/8000th on the dial. It has spot,

matrix and full field metering, along with aperture priority, shutter priority and fully-

automatic exposure. It also has sophisticated flash metering. In my opinion, they have

better viewfinders than the R6. It can also take a better motor drive, winder and the digital

module R. That said, it is a bulkier, heavier camera that is totally reliant on batteries and

looks a bit odd. You would be wise to base your descision on the differences in features

rather than the mirror slap...both are pretty decent in that field, but the R8 is definitely

better if it is that important. I would avoid the R7. I don't believe it has the mechanical

precision of the R6 or the electronic sophistication of the R8.

Natharit,

I owned an R6 a few years back and had the opportunity to purchase an R7 at the time. It was obvious to me once I picked up the two that for me the R6 was th camera. I recall it felt a lot closer to my M6 and I liked that. It was simple and straight forward in handling and operation. I would try them both (and the R8 too) before making the decision. In terms of vibration the 6 felt really solid and images that come from that camera are a matter of record at this point.

Happy hunting :)

Hi Natharit,

Firstly re " less mirror slap vibration and sound?"...forget this, far too many people waste time worrying about small insignificant things like this..your own technique is FAR, FAR more important to your successful image making.

I have used Canon F-1 (lovely) Nikon F2AS (lovely also but not as nice as the F-1 IMO) and lately Contax ST & RX (nicest SLR's I have ever used) however I made the mistake of handling a Leica R 3 years ago and had no choice but to buy one. I now use an R7 and it is superb with possibly the nicest viewfinder of any SLR I have used, so all the others are now sold.

Your Q is simple really..do you want just manual, then buy R6 (best buy) or R6.2 (lot more money for one extra shutter speed)

..if you want the option of auto exposure then either R7 or R8. If you like smaller cameras, then buy R7, If you do not mind far larger ones, then buy R8.

You really need to handle some first though, so do not buy blind..and bear in mind if you do migrate to Leica R, you may have to pay somewhat more for lenses than you are used to..

cheers Steve.M.

Hello Natharit.

As a user of the R7 for the pat 10 years, my answer is biaised.

However, I'll try to help out:

Go for R8 if you like the motordrive, the matrix light evaluation and the latest ROM lenses (although it takes the previous lenses. You are late, the DMR is sold out but you may get one second hand, it's worth.

Go for the R7 if you like the "retro" style, the high electronic but old man machine interface. The R7 is very nice to use in the manual mode as well as the full auto mode. A very capable camera with the features you expect in the 90's.

Go for the R6 or even R6.2 if you like the manual and mechanical camera. The light evaluation is spot or full frame, no auto mode, very similar to the M7 as an approach. But it means that the creativity is yours....

The R7 in france is cheaper than the R6 or R8.

I own the R7 and I admit I use it as an R6, but the MMI (man machine interface) is OK. As for the reliability, not worse than the R6 or R8.

The view finder is better on the R8.

After, it all depends on the lenses you like. But the cameras are comparing since you can mount all lenses since the introduction of the R3 with no modifications.

An opinion, just an opinion

Natharit,

The Leica R6 and 6.2 seem to command a premium. I think this is due to the perceived greater reliability of a manual camera and also because not all that many of them were sold in comparison to the electronic versions.

I have had an R6 and then a R6.2 for 16 years with only a single return to Leica (R6) as the mirror jammed. This seems reasonable considering the amount I have used them. The R6/R6.2 has a mirror prerelease that will eliminate mirror slap. They are nice manual cameras with good viewfinders and a very reliable metering system. I have to say they handle better with a winder or a motor drive, less so without. Without a winder though the camera is very small (which is why it handles less well without the added bulk of a winder) and not much bigger than an M.

Like most manual cameras it is not exactly fascinating or complex - but to me that is a plus. The R6/6.2 are not as well made as the SL or SL2, but they have a superior metering system and sensitivity.

They are not very quiet cameras though. 1/250th sec has a release sound followed by a hiss as if a spring is unwinding. It only happens on this speed. My Canon Elan 7 is quieter.

I often think about getting an electronic R, but to be honest the one I would go for is the R9 as this seems the most mature design. In my opinion the R6.2 is the camera that the R6 should have been. It was very stingy of Leica to offer only 1/1000th max speed on the original R6, considering the Leicaflex Type 1 of 1965 had 1/2000. The R6.2 corrected this and also changed the aperture light switch on the lens mount to the correct orientation, so that fingers did not mistakenly keep switching this on and thereby exhausting your batteries sooner.

Robin Smith

May be you didn`t decide yet so I`ll try to give you my initial comments on your topic.

3 months ago I had the same problem as you.

And I`ve bought brand new packed Leica R8.

High points:

1. New generation camera developed fully in Germany.

2. Possibility of using DMR.

3. Good and solid in-hands feeling.

4. Technically more equipped than other Rs corresponds to the demands of any pro photographer (the only one thing I sometimes feel lack of is abcense of autofocus)

5. Designed to carry heavy lenses.

The sound of camera shot really exists but it`s not irritating (my former Contax Aria was 3 times quiter).

• 1 year later...

Narharit,

Did you ever get the camera you were looking for? I understand your desire to have a quiet camera, and don't understand why someone would think it is a non issue. But everyone is different, I went to an R5 and although it is a fine camera the mirror slap/vibration is totally unacceptable. I have posted my own question trying to find out which R camera is quieter and it just went no where. Maybe it's too subjective? Seems easy enough for me to figure out, so I don't know.

All I can determine is that they all have loud shutters and mirror slap. I don't have a camera store nearby that has Leicas to try out (few people do), and I am reluctant to buy each and every R model from the R6 to the R9 just to figure this out. To me, a loud shutter is unnecessary and means poor design. Who wants someone staring at you because the camera sounds like a gun shot (the R5)? Never mind the inability to take sharp, slow speed pics.

I hope you found one that will work for you. As for me, I am going to a Canon EOS type camera, an EF-M, to get something that doesn't frighten small children when you press the shutter. Dealing w/ stop down metering and loss of most custom functions will be worth it.