New 90 eyes on Elamarit 2.8?

jongraham1

Leica's website says the macro extender was developed for use on the new macro lens, which is designed to be mounted 180 degrees inverted when fitted to the adapter. This is the first claim I've heard that it might be used with other lenses. Still, Photovillage usually knows what they are talking about, so maybe it is compatible with the 90/2.8. I don't suppose they would say so without first trying it.

The reason that you turn the new 90/4 Macro-Elmar lens over when mounting it on the eyes is that there is another focusing scale on the reverse side of the lens.

Except for the parallex correction, the eyes are only an extension tube, right? I don't think that there are any optical elements in there. If that's the case, there's no reason that any lens wouldn't fit on them, but the parallex correction would likely only work for a 90mm lens.

Skip

I saw this and looked at some 90's for comparison. The 90 Summicron and 90 SAA have a rigid mounted cam foot that would preclude the use of the macro adapter as the cam foot would not match up with the body or adapter. The 90 Elmar, 3 Element has an even ground cam on the back and the 90 TE (thin version) has a "small" step in the cam surface. This step encompasses about 180 degrees or 50% of the cam surface. This step appears to protrude about 1 to 1.5 mm beyond the surface of the cam that is in normal use. How is the cam built on the new 90 Macro? FWIW

Cheers

Leave it to Leica to spend the R&D designing it ingeniously so that people can't just buy the Eyes and use their existing 90's, but plead poverty they don't have the funds to develop a digital back so that people can use any of these lenses down the road a bit.