Question about new nikon and 85mm 1.4

clark_king1

I have recently inherited a nikon n50 and an 85mm 1.4D IF lens. I

dont really know anything about either of these. How good are the

camera and lens? I have used either canon, mamyia or horseman now

for years! What are your thoughts, what is the 85mm of this

construction best suited for? How sharp is this 85 1.4D IF lens?

Thank you very much.

Clark

Oh so you wern't serious about the $50? The camera and lens where my fathers and it has been hard to use the camera since then...you know what I mean. I know he paid quit a bit for the 85 but past that I'm clueless. I would imagine that the N50 is comparable to the canon rebel, right?

Clark,

The 85 1.4 is a great lens. It's fast and tack sharp. I usually carry one on my S2 body. I love it for street shots. It's just long enough that you can get close enough for a good shot but not so close that you disturb the scene. In this situation the speed is ideal. The construction of this thing is bomb proof.

It does wonders for portraits. Great 'Bokeh' on this lense. It will push out backgrounds wonderfully soft and keep the subject just right.

The N50 body is.. eh... whatever. Ditch it if you want... but the lense is something special.

Enjoy it.

What is "Great 'Bokeh'", excuse my ignorance...this must be a nikon thing, I've not seen that term on the large format or medium format forums! Again please excuse my ignorance I suppose I should just admit that yes I guess I'm a newbie to Nikon!

I appreciate your help today,

Clark

The 85 is my most used lens. I love it. about 90% of my shooting is extremly low light high speed action. This a wonderful lens for that. My action picures tend to be more environmental portraits and it works very, very well.

Note: If your choose to photograph women with this lens in normal lighting conditions, you will probably want to put a diffusion filter on it as it is TOO sharp. Way too much detail is revealed.

The 85mm lens you will be able to pass down to your children and it will still be a classic lens.

Your Dad invested money wisely by buying perfection in glass and using whatever was left over to buy a box that holds film. The N50 is a good camera with basic features. But dont sell it!

There is something special about the passing down of photographic equipment. I inheirited all of my Dads slide and movie gear. At first it was tough to use. Now I use it with pride and rememberance. I am now actively trying to collect all the pieces of equipment that my dad used over the years. (Even the old Kodak Brownie)

Thanks Loren I can appreciate what your saying. My Dad loved the art of photography as do I and being able to use this after him is a great honor. Thanks to everyone, I guess now the choice (if I'm going back to 35mm) is which film or digital camera to buy. I currently own an RB 67 pro, horseman 450 (LF), and a canon 35mm. But when it comes to nikon equipment as I've already demonstrated I know very little, a little picking around on the web should fix that! Everyone here has very supportive and informative, thank you! Don't forget to thank those in the military, and not just on the holidays, but anytime, young or old, it is beyond words what it really means to put your life on the line for complete strangers, regardless of political views it is still very special.

Clark

<<Clark King , may 31, 2004; 02:26 p.m.

What is "Great 'Bokeh'", excuse my ignorance...this must be a nikon thing>>

Actually it's a Leica thing. Bokeh is that quality Leica owners fall back on to justify having spent five times what Nikon and Canon users do. Whenever challenged and unable to prove their preposterous boasting that Leica glass is "better", they put down the Nikon/Canon/Whatever glass as having "bad Bokeh". The 85/1.4 is a prime example. Leica users, faced with defending the soft until f/5.6, soft close-up, high-vignetting 80/1.4 Summilux-R claim the 85/1.4 Nikkor has terrible Bokeh.

To add to what Jay wrote (at the risk of being a bit technical), bokeh is the "quality" of out-of-focus areas, most often backgrounds (out-of-focus foregrounds are confusing to most people). It is very closely related to the shape of out-of-focus highlights and to the distribution of light within that shape.

The shape of the highlight is related to the shape of the diaphragm and the amount of vignetting. The distribution of the light in the highlight is related to the spherical aberration of the lens (if I remember correctly an undercorrected lens has "bad" background bokeh and an overcorrectly lens has "good" background bokeh).

For lenses with a plain linear extension (e.g. most 50mm primes) achieving "good" background bokeh comes along with sharpness issues and focus shift when focused at infinity, which is not very desirable, which is why those lenses often have a "neutral" bokeh. With inner/rear-focusing lenses and floating designs, it is possible to achieve a good background bokeh without sacrificing sharpness and focusing accuracy at infinity.

Enough technical blah-blah. What you need to know is that when shooting at "portrait" distances (6 to 7ft) and close to wide open the background will blur out in a very pleasant manner.