Travel tri-pod

gareth_harper

This is a follow up to my previous travel tri-pod question.

Firstly to thank those who pointed me in the right direction and gave

me invaluable advice. Thanks in particular to Peter N for pointing

me to http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2gkrc/Tripod-Test.html

Also hopefully this will be of help to others looking for the

ultimate in compact tri-pods.

Anyway what I've ended up with is a Velbon EL 640 carbon tri-pod. At

least this is what the badge says. Going by the overall closed

length and the leg locks it's the new CF-641E. The shop wanted to

charge for the more expensive EL640 until I persauded them it was

really a CF-641E.

If you are considering a Velbon tri-pod beware that the international

Velbon web site says one thing, the UK importer intro 2020 and their

rep another. I got what the rep decribed. No idea what the US or

other sites state.

Anyway the tri-pod I now have is just under 28cm or 18 inches long

and fits inside my motorcycle top box with ease. It can easily be

slipped into a day back pack. It seems reasonably sturdy and is very

light, I may have to weigh it down at bit in stronger winds. I've

added a Uni-Loc 25 ball head which adds a further 1.5 inches to the

height (ball swung to the side).

It has clip lock quick release legs which are great though it remains

to be seen how durable they are.

There is also a CF-541E on the intro 2020 web site, but their rep

told me it's not a UK model and shouldn't be on the site! It doesn't

appear on the international web site. If you can track one down it

2cm shorter again and a couple of 100grms lighter again.

As far as I'm aware these are the most compact pro tri-pods available.

Shame Velbons marketing is so confusing though.

Happy travelling!

Hi Gareth,

read your response to my "anyone seen one of these?" post. Where did you get the tripod from in the end? The only place I can find in the UK is Speedgraphic.

How are the clip locks, in comparison to Manfrotto? This is really my only concern, and as I have a while to wait before I have the money to get one, I'm putting up with my 055 for the moment.

Gareth thanks for posting back. You are right about the Velbon marketing. The situation is even worse here in the US. I think Velbon is owned by Hakuba so there are two companies that make good tripods with confusing product lines for the consumer - sometimes it's very difficult to figure out the differences between the various models and whether Hakuba or Velbon actually make the one with the features you are looking for.

I was on the verge of getting a Hakuba from a local dealer when a used Gitzo came into the shop and so I ended up buying that... Much less confusing! :)

Hi Peter,

The tri-pod survey you pointed me to was very useful. Like you say Velbon marketing is very confusing. I'm now wondering if they do each model with either collar locking or clip locking. So it might indeed be a 640 that I have. It's compact enough for my needs but it's annoying to think there may be an even more compact version that would suit me better. Never mind, I have a good quality tri-pod that will fit into my bike top box.

Martin, I wanted to buy it from Jessops in Glasgow as I find them helpful and fairly flexible on price.

The velbon rep refused to deliver the tri-pod to Jessops for assessment and insisted on sending it to the Photofactory in Glasgow. Jessops could get it in but only on a special order basis (ie pay up front). I went up to Glasgow to see the tri-pod (a 60 mile round trip) and said, yup that's fine I'll take it. Then said they couldn't sell it to me as they had no paper work for it and no price list. I showed them the AP prices and offered the warehouse express price, but they wouldn't let me have it. Meanwhile I looked at the web sites again and got confused as to what I was looking at. Phoned the rep again, he's adamant it's an incorrectly branded 641.

Anyway due to the model type confusion etc. and knowing that the one I saw would do the job I decided to go back up to the Photofactory once they had sorted their price. I asked for a discount over the phone but they declined. When I went back up (60 miles) I moaned about my wasted time, fuel money etc and asked for £20 off. No joy, no discount, they charged me as a CF641E, £235. I pointed out the rep stated the RRP was £220 but they insisted he was wrong.

I won't be dealing with the photofactory again.

The clip locks are pretty plastically but I reckon tough enough. They are very light to use, so light that you would expect the leg to slip if forced. I've pulled with all my might (OK that's not really much!) and they will not slip. It seems a light but sturdy well made bit of kit and of course very compact closed. I'm told there is full spares back up, assuming you know what model you have.

The uni-loc 25 head is a very nice match if you are after a compact ball head. Good value at £27 too.

I contacted intro 2020 via their web site http://www.intro2020.co.uk/ leaving my phone number and they contacted me the next day. They should be able to deliver a sample to a camera store near you.