Quality of Film development in China...

Craig_Cooper11664875449

At least this is not a good image to begin with! 400 ASA Fuji NPH hand held in moonlight

but not the issue ...

This scan of 135 colour neg film is typical of what you can expect in China. This was

processed in a professional lab (not a 1 hour lab) "China Photo Services". The biggest issue

here is that 1st the place is just dusty and dirty generally and 2nd, no one ever cleans

these mini lab machines. The best options (but it requires living here) is noting when0 and

where new mini labs that open and using them for about 3 months until you find the next

one.

regards

Craig / Beijing

Richard,

I *have* been there many times now just to by Ilford films (its only about a 15 min walk from the office) - and as you told me, they do have a reasonably good range of films.

What I hadnt even thought about was using them for C-41 development. I dont shoot much C-41 here and just dropped off this one with some B&W at CPS. However this the worst handled negative Ive ever seen from any lab.

regards

Craig

Good, glad you found the place. Quite an oasis in a city devoid of decent film stores, eh? Try them for C-41, not bad at all and negs relatively unscratched especially compared to the typical thing you ran into. Did you find the small, large-format oriented place just up the road there?

When I discovered that the minilab across the street cuts film by wrapping it around their shoulders and pulling it across after each cut, I told them not to cut my negs anymore. So now they return them to me uncut. this has worked fine for my C-41, but I would'nt dare try not developing my own B&W!