The new lens features 8 elements, several made with

various types of special glasses, while one element is

aspherical.

Other notable features include floating elements for

better close-up performance (still down to .7 metres),

a built-in collapsible lens shade that can be locked

in the extended position, and a knurled focussing ring

that also has an integral finger tab (for those who

can't decide whether to rub or to poke the thing).

Length is just over 52mm and weight is 335 grams.

Very good news, indeed.

Emanuel Lowi Montreal "

Okay, let's hope it's real this time.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<P>The Leica communication:</P>

<P>We are pleased to announce a new high-speed standard lens for the Leica M System offering maximum imaging performance: the new LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. The goal of the optical designers at Leica was to create a reference lens that would exceed the technical boundaries of imaging creating a new performance benchmark of the standard 50mm focal length. The LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. delivers virtually the same outstanding results through out all apertures and focus settings. This is the first major redesign of this lens since 1962.</P>

<P>The optical structure of the LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. consists of eight lenses in 5 groups. Glass with anomalous partial dispersion (elements 2/3) was used to ensure correct color rendition. Lens element 2 is made of a fluorite-type glass while lens element 3 is made from glass originating from the former Leitz glass laboratory. Lens element 4 has an aspherical surface. Lens elements 1, 6 and 7 are made of glass with a very high refractive index to minimize monochromatic aberrations. In every innovation currently available in lens technology aspherical lenses, glass with anomalous partial dispersion (APO), glass with a high refraction index and a floating element has been combined to create a lens that will set new imaging standards.</P>

<P>This is the first Leica M lens with a specifically patented floating element used to maintain imaging performance at a very high level even in close-focus ranges down to 0.7m. During focusing, the rearmost optical component (elements 7/8) moves relative to the rest of the optical system and produces brilliant image quality in near focus ranges. To maximize the benefits of the floating element an extremely precise adjusting mechanism has also been utilized that had to fit into the restricted space inside this compact M-lens.</P>

<P>At full aperture, the LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. offers high contrast rendering even for the finest structures. This performance can only be raised slightly by stopping down. Another notable feature of this lens is that it is virtually distortion-free. The normal vignetting for such high-speed lenses at full aperture is strongly reduced by stopping down slightly. Furthermore, the use of the most advanced coating technology ensures a high degree of anti-glare.</P>

<P>The new LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. also offers special new features in terms of its handling: The built-in lens hood not only provides protection against stray light and dust, it can also be locked in the extended position to guard against accidental retracting. In addition to the familiar knurled ring, the lens is equipped with a finger grip that allows easy focusing using one finger. The balanced proportions of the lens also provide comfortable usage for longer periods of time. </P>

Technical Data<BR>

LEICA SUMMILUX-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH.<BR><BR>

Angle of view (diagonal, horizontal, vertical) 47°, 40°, 27°<BR><BR>

Optical design<BR>

Number of lenses / groups 8 / 5<BR>

Aspherical surfaces 1<BR><BR>

Distance setting<BR>

Focusing range 0.7m to 8<BR>

Scales Combined meter/feet graduation<BR>

Smallest object field 11 inches x 16 inches<BR>

Largest reproduction ratio pprox. 1:11.3<BR><BR>

Aperture<BR>

Setting / Function Preset, with click-stops, half values available<BR>

Lowest value 16<BR><BR>

Filter mount <BR>

Internal thread for screw-on filters size<BR>

E46, non-rotating<BR><BR>

Lens hood Built-in, telescopic, lockable<BR><BR>

Finish<BR>

Black anodised only<BR><BR>

Dimensions and weight<BR>

Length to bayonet flange approx. 2 inches<BR>

Largest diameter approx. 2 inches<BR>

Weight approx. 10.5 ounces<BR><BR>

Price will be about $2500<BR>

Peter Evans wrote, "Can it be as good as the Nokton?"

We'll hope so. But since it's still sized for a 46mm filter, it might vignette more than the Nokton, which has pretty even coverage at f/1.5.

I'm puzzled at the excitement about this lens. Leica must be building it as much to be a showpiece lens as to be something that lots of photographers really want. Or maybe there are really people who would use f/1.4 more often -- for the subject isolation or whatever other reasons -- if only it looked a little better, and this is just what they need.

I'm not it that group, I guess. If I'm using a 50mm f/1.4 lens at f/1.4, it's usually because I've run out of acceptable shutter speed and can't use it at f/2. So then it's hand-held, no flash, pretty slow shutter -- I'll probably not notice whether or not any extremely fine detail is recorded. A Nokton will probably be fine.

Well crap. I just bought a new (now obsolete) 50 lux. At least I paid a little more than $1000 less than this lens. I'm shocked at the price. Don Chatterton has gray market Noctilux's for $2500. I'm sure this is a great lens but holy crap - that's a lot for a standard lens.

The Nocton was about even with the old Lux, so the new Lux should be an

improvement over both. If it is anything like the revised Summilux-R it will end up being

the best 50 money can buy. $2500 is s lot of cash for a 50, but it is about the same price

as the model it replaces. Right now a Noctilux goes for $2900. You'll probably be able to

pick up the new Lux as a grey item for around $1600.

Feli

Hello All,

As a user of a second generation Lux (which I purchased from Matt M from this board-

Thanks Matt!), I can attest to the fact that this lens produces super contrasty, beautifully

toned images at all apertures. When I shoot Tri-X, indoors, the images are practically 3D.

I also own a 35 LUX Asph, and this lens, while also produces wonderful stuff, can

sometimes have a 'false' digital look, especially in regards to seperation of main subject

and backround. I guess what I am trying to say is that I am curious id this new lens will

take away what is already incredible about the 1962 lens design. Maybe they really will

not compare, much like the ASPH 35's to their earlier brothers.

Thoughts?

best,

Jeff

p.s. I also feel this way about my RIGID cron, which blows away the new version.

Yes, Al. I am talking about the current VC Nocton. Everything I have ever read about it claims that it is a alternative to the old Lux, because it essentially offers the same performance and costs significantly less. I have a Lux, Cron and recently sold my Noctilux so I have actually shot this lens. The old Lux is very good.

http://www.imx.nl/photosite/japan/voigtl01.html

feli