Canon Elan 7E vs. 7NE

michael_g.

<P>I've got both a 2001 Elan 7E (Japan) and a new Elan 7NE (Taiwan). They're 90% identical. The most noticeable different is the new crinkle gray paint job and illuminated LCD. I've only shot a couple rolls of Sensia 100 so far, but ECF, AF, flash and metering appear to perform nearly the same. I think low light AF is slightly more reliable but my EOS 3 is much better. Honestly, E-TTL II works well, but I can't see any difference in results over E-TTL.</P> <P><B>I noticed a couple minor QC issues with body fit and finish and interior cleanliness with my Elan 7NE.</P> <P><A HREF="http://emedia.leeward.hawaii.edu/frary/canon_elan7ne.htm" TARGET="_blank">Read my Elan 7NE Review if you want the nitty gritty details.</A></P>

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

"7NE is made in Taiwan appearntly, while the 7E was made in Japan"

Not true for all 7E's: my 7E was made in Taiwan too. 1 year+ (and counting) of ownership and a drop from 1 feet on asphalt later, it is still blazing. I cant say if mine's (Taiwanese) fit and finish is not as good as the Japanese though, since I have never laid eyes on a Japanese one.

My .02 would be stick with a 7E if it saves you a lot. If not go with the 7NE and hope the ETTL II and AF improvements work great for you !

- Harman

• 1 year later...