This is more of a logistical question rather than a photo one but

the object is to get to the location to photograph. Anyone taken

the bus from Mexico City to San Miguel de Allende via Querétaro,

wondering about actually getting a taxi from the airport to the bus

station, never been to MC before...I'm a pale Irish guy so yeah I'm

going to look like a gringo no matter how I dress. Any info or

experiences appreciated. If you don't want to post here feel free

to e-mail me at dermot.conlan@verizon.com

I've been in D.F. and would highly recommend using the subway system. I am a 6'3" red-head, and there is no question that I am a gringo. In my experience the subway system is VERY cheap and economical way to reach the bus stations, zocalo, UNAM etc. If i remember correctly in december 2003 the metro cost the equivalent of 0.20 (yes, 20 cents!!) U.S. or something while a taxi from the airport to the zocalo cost like 25-35 dollars U.S.!!! Additionally, the bus stations should all be serviced from the metro. In my case I used the metro extensively while in D.F. and then caught my bus onward to the oaxacan coast also using the metro. Also, I should add that I brought for my two week trip only a small shoulder bag that included my photo equipment, some clothes and toiletries...there may be restrictions to using the metro if you have luggage. So pack light and it makes moving around in the congested crowds much easier.

Of course there are those guidebooks (lonely planet, rough guide, etc) that all talk of the security issues in the subway. But the metro was always well lit and lots of people going about there business like any other large city. Never did I feel unsafe, claustrophobic yes, but never unsafe. Use common sense and have fun!

I'll be going back to Mexico in a couple of months and cannot wait. enjoy your trip.

Take a bus from the Mexico City Airport to Queretaro. Switch in Queretaro to a bus to San Miguel de Allende. Believe me, you will be much better off doing this. The buses from the airport are really good and you should have a much shorter trip.

Also, for travel questions, use the boards at Fodor's web site. Much more information there.

I've done this before and I go to Mexico City all the time. First off there are official taxis at the airport that take you everywhere. You buy a ticket for the taxis from a booth right after you go through customs. Unless family is picking them up most people do this. Ask someone who was on the plane with you if it isn't obvious. Do NOT take a taxi from the street. Tell the woman at the booth that you want a ticket to the Norte bus station. Norte is where the buses for San Miguel leave from (also buses to Queretero). The cost for the ticket should be about $10 or so (maybe less, it's $10 to go downtown). Once you have bought your ticket for Norte you can just walk straight out the door and the taxi line will be there. Don't follow someone across the lot to his taxi. There will be an official line right outside the door with someone to take your ticket and put you in the cab.

Once you get to the Norte station keep a close eye on your bags. Just go to the ticket booth for the bus company ETN, Primera Plus or Pegasso Plus. They all run 1st class busses to San Miguel de Allende/Queretero. ETN has 4 deluxe busses to San Miguel daily. There are departures to Queretaro every 10 minutes or so (companies other than the above 3 also go to Queretaro, just not direct to San Miguel).

You can find info on bus routes in the Lonely Planet Mexico book.

Mark