Epson's Archival Matte vs. Heavyweight Matte

I would like to hear about your experiences with these two Epson

Matte papers. How would you characterize their differences? From

some brief remarks I've heard, I get the impression that the

Archival Matte is better suited for final prints, whereas the

Heavyweight Matte is more of an all-purpose proof/poster paper. Is

that a fairly accurate conclusion?

Fwiw, I'm considering using one of these Matte papers on a Canon

i950 (with BCI-6 inks) for final prints.

Thanks and happy new year!

Well...

My two cents. On the Epson 2200 printer using both types of paper I have received much better results with Archival Matte, now called Enhanced Matte...because the print life was reduced to 40 yrs since the paper is not 100% acid free. (Now the independant research types are saying reality is 40 yrs before the paper STARTS to go yellow at forty years. Ink seems to be holding at 70+)

Heavyweight Matte is VERY mediocre based on my experience.

As for mixing this paper with Canon inks...I've no idea.

My instincts tell me to research this thoroughly if your distributing these prints for dollors and/or your reputation is at stake!

Aaron,

I also have a Canon i950. I can't address the Epson papers, but I think you should give the Ilford Galerie Smooth Pearl and Smooth Gloss papers a try. I've only used the Gloss a couple of times, but it compared favorably to the Canon Photo Paper Pro. I absolutely love the Pearl as a matte alternative. Print both on the High Gloss Photo Film setting. Can't really attest to the archival properties of the paper, but feel free to drop me a line in 20 years or so.

Bill

Emre - Thanks for that reference... The table is helpful.

William - Based on Emre's comment (and reference) your conclusions are what I would expect, as your 2200 uses pigmented inks.

Bill - Re: Ilford's Smooth Gloss paper, I really don't care for high-gloss finishes (too commercial-looking for me). I haven't tried the Classic Pearl although I've read that it's very similar to (but less expensive than) Epson ColorLife. If I run across the Classic Pearl at a good price, I'll give it a try.

Aaron,

I use the Pearl almost exclusively when I want prints to display at home or give away. I bought the Gloss only because it was a new product at the shop where I buy the Pearl, and was pleased with the few prints I made with it. It is actually a very subtle gloss - not nearly as shiny as the Canon Pro paper. Just so you have a reference, both papers cost me around $15 or $16 for 25 sheets.

Bill