drachir

In Digest 12/11/01 Q.G de Bakker refers to the need to use original

equipment Hass light traps for the magazine backs. Please, what is

the Hassy code for the traps and foils for the A12 back (they are

likely the same for all backs). I have e-mailed Hasselblad UK but

received no reply. Also, where in UK can they be obtained? I don't

trust my backs to an unknown repairer.

Richard Evans

It is the weekend - Hasselblad usually reply but not immediately. I'll dig out an old invoice with the numbers - nudge me if I forget or if someone else doesn't have them to hand. For light traps you just need a small jewellers screwdriver which come in sets for under £1 if you don't insist on the best - lay the magazine on its back with some soft steadying material and remove the 8 or 9 small screws on the face plate. (I do all this in a developing tray in case little bits go walkabout) Lift the plate off very carefully and note carefully the layout of the existing seal - fold the new one to match, insert and replace the plate. Only once have I had a problem when a sliding shim (?) adhered to the face plate. Luckily I had another magazine to hand - used it as a reference -and replaced the part correctly before reassembly. If all else fails THEN you send it to Hasselblad who will charge you quite a lot of money. Some bits of a Hasselblad I wouldn't dare breathe on - but this job most people who grew up on Meccano can do.

Richard,

The codes are: foam pad 13067; foil backing 13508.

The same parts are indeed used in all Hasselblad film magazines.

But you don't really need the code. Just give Hasselblad UK a call and say you want to buy some replacement film magazine light traps, both foil backing and foam pads.

Don't let them talk you into replacing them for you, unless you don't feel confident opening your magazine yourself. It's easy enough, and there is little that can go wrong. Things to look out for are: the spring operating the dark slide exposure lock can fall out; the magazine locking mechanisme can come apart (but is easy enough to put together again, though it may take some time working out how); and some shims and magazine support springs can fall out. Now this all may seem a bit daunting, but it's not a big deal. Just make sure that if anything should fall out, it doesn't disappear into a high pile rug.

If Hasselblad UK does not want to sell them to you, but insists on doing the replacement for you, you can always ask Hasselblad Sweden (info@hasselblad.se In charge of Customer Relations there is David Jeffery, so no need to try your command of the Swedish language) before giving in.