base of the lens, it does stay bright in the finder, but the meter

won't budge no matter where I turn it. It WILL adjust when I change

shutter speeds, but that hardly helps me if it gives no recognition

to the aperature I have chosen.

I'm using a 1.5 volt battery which I know isn't ideal, but I have

been informed that the SPotmatic F's canc ompensate while older

Spotmatics cannot.

Thank you for any help. I'm really anxious to get out and shoot

without having to worry about this flaw.

What type of 50/1.4 do you have? The only 50/1.4 (to my knowledge) that connected

to the Spotmatic F and ES-I and ES-II for full aperture metering was the Super-Multi-

Coated Takumar. Another way to check is to remove the lens and see if there is a

little lever that slides around the rear element.

If you can move the auto/manual switch on your lens while it's attached to a Spotmatic F, it's probably the wrong lens...

As Matt said, you need a Super Multi Coated (or later SMC) Takumar lens for full aperture metering on an SPF (or ES, ES II). In addition to the meter coupling lever, these have a locking pin on the rear mount which prevents the auto/manual switch moving when it's on one of these cameras, and allows it on all others.

You can use stopped down metering OK, but full aperture metering won't work unless you have the correct lens. In addition to SMC Takumars, several independent manufacturers made suitable lenses. There were interchangeable mounts for Tamron Adaptall and Vivitar TX lenses, too.

Thanks for the help.

I'm still a bit confused. The switch ont he lens locks when the lens is attached, but it IS a Super-Takumar, not a SMC of any sort. I was under the impression that the Open-Aperature metering was possible with the F, even witht he old lenses. Anyway, thanks for the help. I guess I'll see what the tech says, he's looking at it right now.

"was possible with the F, even witht he old lenses"

No. The older lenses have no way of telling the camera what the aperture is set for. The really old lenses actually are manual so they step down the aperture when you move the F/stop ring.

The problem with open metering with all the M42 cameras is each company making M42 cameras did it differently.