O'Hare Field as my usual base. Here's what I can report:

I had no problem in Milwaukee with my Tamrac Rolling Photoback (which

only Hulk Hogan would use as a backpack) but technically it is a

little under two inches too long to comply with carry-on regs. I was

able to get all of my essential gear (EOS 1VHS and 3, 300mm f/2.8, 70-

200L, 28-80, 20-35, 100mm macro, flash, 1.4x and 2x, three ext tubes,

filters and cables, etc.) and some of the nonessential stuff as well

into the Lowepro Photo Trekker Classic. Heavy to carry but I did not

want to risk having a nonconforming carryon bag rejected.

The majority of the time the bag was handchecked after being X-

rayed. In each instance the folks respected that it was photo gear

and allowed me to assist them.

Since we're allowed a personal bag these days, I use the Domke fammy

pack to hold film, Kirk ballhead, checkbook, spare glasses, cell

phone, medications, etc. I remove the ballhead and put it in the dog

bowl or tray and have it X-rayed separately as it shows up as a black

blob and I would rather not have someone tearing through the film

canisters if they don't have to. The airport people USUALLY

appreciate this, too.

My tripod (Gitzo 1228) fits in my checked bag. Should it get lost,

chances are I can pick up a Bogen 3021 almost anywhere in a pinch.

It's a lot harder to find a good ballhead!

These days you'll need to get to the airport 90-120 minutes before

your flight. Usually that time isn't needed but if there is a long

line, it could be. Better safe than sorry, I say.

Hope this helps!

Just a suggestion: I used to carry my Benbo tripod in checked laggage in the backpack. After flying few times its legs started being wobbly and not as stable anymore. What probably happened, my backpack was under other loads and side force was applied to it. But I guess we have no much choice as to carry as carryon.

Thanks Dick,

I recently flew Delta from Raleigh to Idaho Falls, Idaho (to get to the Tetons and Yellowstone). I checked my tripod and miscl gear. I carried on a PhotoTrekker backpack full of bodies and lenses and used a plastic shopping bag full of film, glasses, etc as my second bag. Other than long lines I had no problem getting my gear thru. The camera bag was hand inspected once. I found out the ballhead is what drew their interest. Since I have always passed film through the x-ray (in North America only) I had no other delays. I still feel safer passing film thru the carry-on xray than mailing it since Sept 11. I am hearing that some FedEx packages are getting x-rayed before going on third party aircraft. I have never had a problem in North America with film (I never use anything above ASA 400). Thanks for the update.

I came back from a photo trip to Africa toward the end of September. The trip started before Sept 11, I was traveling with a carry-on, just for the photo equipment and a large handbag for the film and the rest of my stuff. Almost stayed in Africa because they were reluctant to let me get inside the airplane with two pieces of luggage, had to beg on the tarmac until they let me in for the first leg of the trip. The carry-on had to go through the x-rays at three airports, but only once, the film was x-rayed. The other two, I insisted on hand checking and fortunately, they complied. I had pushed some of the ProviaF film two stops and was nervous about having this film x-rayed more than once.

The film travels in several clear, zippered plastic bags and out of their canisters. This eliminates the bulk and facilitates its inspection.

The carry-on that I nowadays use for the photo equipment is made by Delsey. It rolls nicely, it is sturdy and it accommodates quite a bit of equipment, which I wrap in individual half-inch-thick foam pieces. This can be done very quickly. Hand inspection is no problem with this system. For this trip, the equipment in the carry-on included the Nikon 500mm f/4, two F5 bodies, 80-400 VR, wide angle, 1.4 teleconverter, extension rings, SB-26 flash, a few filters and some other small photo paraphernalia, like the flash extender and cable releases. The light and convenient telephoto OutPack travels inside my suitcase, a Gitzo tripod inside it and the Arca Swiss ballhead in one of its pockets. I also included the Kirk window mount this time. The photo equipment is then switched from the carry-on into the telephoto OutPack after I get to my destination. I own the Tamrac Rolling Photoback and find it the worst, heaviest pack of all. When it is filled with the photo equipment, I can barely lift this pack to place it inside of my vehicle, much less I would be able to place it in the overhead compartment of an airplane. In the other hand, I have tried to just use the telephoto OutPack as a carry-on, but found that endless walking/rushing at the airports becomes the worst ordeal when carrying a backpack full of heavy stuff.

The film results are fine, the film did not suffer after being passed once through the x-rays, it was mostly 50 and 100ASA film.

I am glad to read that photographers are still being allowed to hand carry their photo equipment, however, changes in the airline regulations are happening as we speak, they also differ from airport to airport. Please keep writing about your personal experiences. Thanks!

Ligia Dovale-Kiamco

www.LigiaPhoto.com

Two weeks ago I returned from a trip to southern Africa. I started the trip just before sept 11th and returned four weeks later. The flights were Amsterdam-Johannesburg and Johannesburg-Windhoek (Namibia) vv. Security was slightly stricter on the return flights. Mainly people were checked for knifes and all pocket knifes had to be turned in. (Still amazes me that really sharp metal knifes were supplied for dinner !?!)

Most flights inside Europe and Africa allow just one piece of handluggage. This is often very strictly tested. Handluggage then gets a paper-tag to show that it has been checked. In many cases handluggage is not only measured for size but also for weight. Weigth allowance differs for most airlines. Some will allow 10kg but most are down to 7kg and a few even 5kg. So taking one rollercase or backpack with your equipment will be impossible because of weight restrictions.

A friend of me had his Lowepro backpack weighted. He was allowed 7kgs and had to remove everything from the backpack except for his 500/4.5 lens. All other equipment had to be put in his normal checked luggage. This was then weighted again and he had to pay over $100 for overweight. He complained but the answer was very simple. "Either you comply or you don't fly with us."

Regards,

Hans

The airline mentioned in my posting was Transavia. It's a dutch daughter of KLM, a charter company flying mostly tourists.

The problem was that it is the only airline flying directly from Amsterdam to the greek island of Lesbos (famous for the bird migration in spring).

Because of all the troubles my friend had experienced I contacted them before flying there myself. Being extremely carefull and polite I explained them that I would be flying there to do ïáS�lifeÁLhotography. And the only way to safely transport my equipment (500/4L IS loaned from Canon) would be as handluggage.

They were pretty arrogant: "This is the way we operate. If you don't like it, you better fly with someone else". Of course that is difficult if they are the only airline flying there. Also, for this kind of destination, you normally book accomodation together with the flight and might not even know which airline until you get the tickets a week before flying.

Regards,

Hans