Should I wait for new Canon dSLR?

I almost have enough money to upgrade from my Elan II to 10d. I've

read rumors that Canon will release new dSLRs in 2004. I have yet to

find concrete details on this subject. Should I wait for new models

or buy the 10d? Anyone have updated info as to how soon Canon will

have new dSLRs? Thanks.

I understand that the follow-on to the next models will be even better. OK, just kidding. Just guessing on that.

Most of this strategic business planning is very closely held. People speculate based on past introduction schedules but it's pure speculation. I think you'll see that performance improvements will be made but price points are generally maintained.

So if the camera you can afford does what you want, get it. The next one will likely be a little better and maybe a little cheaper. I think the surest price drops come when the first rush to purchase a "new" item finally subsides, not with introduction of a new item, unless it's specifically planned as a lower priced item. Discounts don't kick in while demand is still at it's peak and supply can't keep up.

Simple: make the assumption your camera will be worth 1/2 its original price in 1 year, and nothing in 2 years. You can then make a NPV calculation to compare cost-benefit of buying the 10D vs. buying a Digital Rebel vs. waiting.

Not being funny Fazal, but it's a bit of a leap to assume most people know how to figure out net present value (or even what it is). People should stop worrying so much about depreciation!

This subject has been covered many, many times. This can only be a personal decision: no one can tell you whether you should wait or not. IMO the next Canon DSLR in the 10D class is unlikely to significantly better the 10D's image quality. Rather, improvements are likely in AF, bells and whistles etc (a bit like the d60>10D transition).

"Maybe you should inform the people on eBay who are selling their D30s for over $600 and D60s for more than a grand, they don't seem to realize their investments are now worthless"

These clowns really p*** me off. I've been waiting for the big drop in d30 prices, to pick a nice cheap one up to use with a sharp, cheap canon prime but no... let's charge £500 on Ebay for a D30 body! For god's sake that's only £150 less than a 828. Aargh!

Tuan,<br>

The new Canon dSLRs will be announced/released for PMA (12-15/02/2004) and for Photokina (28/09-03/10/2004).<br>

Most people expect to see a replacement for the Eos 1D (expectation = x1.3 factor + 8MP + 8im/s ) for PMA. 2 more bodies may be also announced during the year...<p>

Olivier

If Canon will come out with new dSLRs this year they will probably not update the 10d. It is much more likely that they will come out with a new version of the 1d or introduce an EOS 3 series dSLR which would sell for at least $2500.

If the 10d fits your current needs I'd just stop worrying and buy it.

If you do photography as a serious hobby and on a budget like many of us then enjoy your film camera for as long as possible and put off the digital jump. If you buy now, an "affordable" dSLR will satisfy you for 2-3 years and be worth 1/3 as much by then. If you wait that length of time you can get a dSLR that will satisfy you for 5 years. If you can really wait, which is what I am doing, in 5 years from now you can buy a dSLR that will satisfy you for 10 years or more, like cameras are supposed to!

If all you want are 4x6 prints (or whatever the ratio is) and the ability to email all over the world without scanning then make the jump now and enjoy it! Good luck!

why wouldn't a dslr such as the digital rebel satisfy a person for 10 years. with interpolation wouldnt it produce images suitable for 16x20" photos? those are the largest i am considering so wouldnt a 6.3mp be cabiable of that? just wondeirng,

thanks

I really don't get this dilema . I mean If you wait for a few months look at all the photos that you are going to miss out on? Besides if the 10D has everything you want in a camera then what are you really waiting for? Some Feature that you will never use? As for the value, yeah it's digital and yeah the value is gonna drop but does that mean as soon as a new model comes out your's will stop working? NO. Does it mean that your pictures are less valuable? NO. If you have the money you can't go wrong with the 10D, I have one and it's a great camera , I could also care less that in 6 months you'll buy one on ebay for $600 because I've already saved the difference and then some on the film processing that I'm NOT having to pay for!...So get one, Have fun and Enjoy the pictures that you Won't be missing out on.

• 2 weeks later...

I would wait. If you had to wait 4 months or more I would somewhat agree with everyone else but PMA is a month away. Sure nothing might be upgraded on the 10d but someone might decide to upgrade to the 1d and you might get yourself a bit of a bargain.

While I know what these guys are saying, start taking pictures now there must be some point in time that you should wait. If PMA was this Monday would they say just start taking pictures and get on with it. In this case I would recommend waiting.

Dean