Does anyone know how you can find out release dates or information on

future lenses?

I just don't want to buy a lense and then a newer more suitable one

comes out after i have just bought one.

It would be nice if i could get a 150-300 twist zoom or something

like that.

Thanks

Kyle

Those who will tell you don't know. Those who know won't tell you.

The only thing to do is wait for the major trade shows, like PhotoKina, since these are when new gear is typical announced. Of course it can take quite a long time to ship after being announced.

The best you can do for a long zoom is the EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM. The EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM is not a bad lens either. I haven't even see a 70-300 DO IS but the reports aren't that great.

Nothing earth shattering is going to happen to lens design. The latest revolutions were diffractive optics jury still out - probably not as good as conventional lens design - just lighter) and image stabilization. Canon is switching all its long lenses to IS but there are reports that some of the lenses are not as sharp as their non-IS counterparts (which have fewer elements).

If you need a lens then buy what you need. It is very unlikely that anything will happen to make it obsolete. The old 300/4's are holding their used value extremely well.

My advice for what it is worth is to buy a long prime if you want long. Primes are faster than zooms and long lenses are slow anyway so why compound the mistake. A nice 300/4 or 1200/5.6 ought to do the trick.

It doesn't look like any revolution is going to happen in optics. Buy now, feel safe.

The current 100-300 is said to be nice. Other options include the 100-400IS or any of the 70-200L with a 1.4x extender.

The telephoto zooms are simple:

75-300 and 100-300's are twist zooms ranging from $150 to $425.

The 100-400/L-IS is a push-pull at $1200 or so.

The 70-300/DO-IS is a twist at $1200 or so.

The 70-200's are twists (4L=$600, 2.8L=$1200, 2.8L-IS=$1600)

What are you looking for?

I think there is little demand for 150-300 zooms.

i'm looking for a lense for little league games, but i need to have at least 300mm, but i need 100-150mm for slides into 3rd and home.

i currently have the 100-300 f5.6 non L lense but it's af is too slow and an f4 would be a big help, plus better optics would be nice.

i think the 100-400 is probably heavier than i would like plus i hear the push-pull is bad for dust and ball fields are usually dusty.

so basically i would love a 150-300 f/4 (or something like that) with the quality of the 70-200 f/4.

how does the 70-200 f4 do with a 1.4 teleconverter, i guess i could also carry 2 bodies.

Well, this is easy. You don't want the 100-400, you want 300mm, f/5.6 is too slow. 70-200/2.8 (either version) with a 1.4x is what you want.

The 70-200/4 is purely internal zoom and focus, so it really doesn't move a lot of air, which is good in dusty environments. I'm not sure about either 70-200/2.8.

The 1.4x teleconverter changes the 70-200 f/4 to a maximum f/5.6 aperture, which you've already said slows AF down too much for you.

In the Canon line, I think you'd want a 70-200 f/2.8 + the 1.4x teleconverter, to yield an effective 98-280mm focal length range, with a net f/4 maximum aperture (and a $1,400-1,500 investment).

For another $400, you could get IS on the 70-200 f/2.8, which you would think would come in quite handy if you're handholding the lens, except that the combined weight would probably drive you to a tripod (or at least, a monopod), and automatically diminish the need for IS...

I wonder if this is a case where the best solution is actually a 10D with a 70-200/2.8L

With no TC you don't lose any of the speed, and thus AF will be snappy - and the crop factor puts the lens right about where you want it.

It is a crop, but from what I've seen - the images are very good.

Plus you would not have any issues with needing to load film.

You might end up needing to clean the sensor more often than normal, though.

Ah. Sports. Low Light.

First, fast lens is not a substitue for "no light".

Second, get a monopod to help shooting at slow speeds with aperture *where you need it* for DOF control.

Third, How much money you got? If you want improved AF speed, you need a faster lens. Fast and 300mm equates to big bucks. $1500 for 70-200/2.8 (with TC) or twice that for a 300/2.8L.

The 70-200/4L with 1.4TC sounds nice, but AF speed (due to 5.6 aperture) and 5.6 shutter (forced to wider DOF) are big hits.

The Sigma 100-300 f/4 EX HSM is an excellent lens - one of Sigma's finest, and not to be confused with the little ultra compact 100-300 which sells for a similarly small price. If you need f/4 in an x-300 zoom it's the way to go. If you need f/2.8 in an x-300 zoom then you've no alternative but Sigma's 120-300 f/2.8 EX HSM, which is also an outstanding lens.