has a lot of aggressively angled, pointy extensions?), which leads

me towards the assumption that i will have to purchase an additional

head adaptor or something of the like.

so my questions would be: when looking at the low-res picture

below, can anyone offer suggestions as to how this thing might be

made to mate with a monorail camera? does anyone actually have

experience with this sort of tripod head, and if so, what did you do

(if anything) to make this work with your camera? any military

surveyers on photo.net who could toss in some ideas?

i appreciate any thoughts that you could offer. and even if there

isn't a way to mate this jobber with a 4x5, it's nice to know that

at least it could double as a car jack. thanks in advance.

-adam

Adam, that's an interesting piece of equipment. If the manufacturer is identified, you might try to contact the company, and ask them for suggestions. They might have an adapter already made for your use. A machine shop or metal fabricator should be able to make something for you. It looks as if some type of plate will need to be made. Good luck.

duct tape is the great equalizer (ask most fiat mechanics). hadn't thought of the machine shop option, and coincidentally i do have a friend who owns a metal shop.

as for the original manufacturer, i found a promising lead in the internet...

Get yourself a 6" carbon tipped drill bit. Spread the "tripod legs. Find the center spot between the legs and drill upwards, through the whole mess. Where the bit emerges on top build a platform. Insert a long 1/4" or 3/8" inch bolt through the newly drilled hole and you have yourself a slick combination of tripod / rangefinder!

You'll be the envy of every large format photgrapher around!

Okay, a little more seriously, here -- it looks as if you could dismount all the fancy adjustable gizmos and get a standard platform like a surveyor's tripod (without the leveling platform) underneath; you should then be able to mount a standard head (with a little work -- change out bolt for correct size/thread, etc.) and still have all the gizmo part for experimentation.

Your military device on top of the light duty tripod appears to be a aiming circle; ie a site. These are used for triangulation ie fire-control of batteries; ie cannon; mortars; guns. Usually these read horizontal angles quickly; have a compass; and small 4x telescope. Many read in mils; 4000 mils is 360 degrees. 1 mil is about 1 ft arc in 1000ft; thus quick gunners can lay fire quickly; do offsets while being shot at. The aiming circle M1 was used prior to WW2; the Germans used a similar model; which I have. The German aiming circle reads in degrees; then to 5 minutes; has illumination for night usage. The photo you linked looks sort of like a more modern version of a Vietnam era aiming circle I have too; same vial and knobs..

Kelly, a mil is a milliradian. There are about 6280 of them in a circle. I quote here from http://www.gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/units/sea.htm

"Another angle unit is the mil. This is a military unit for defining angles. The name derives from milliradian, and they are used because an angle of X mils is X metres wide at a distance of X kilometres. This means that if you drop a shell 200 metres to one side of the target (according to your map) and it's 4 km away, 200 divided by 4 is 50, so you swing your aim by 50 mils. Note that current OS maps have the magnetic and grid deviations shown in mils as well as degrees. There are 6283.1853 mils in a circle, but they seem to be rounded off to various values in use, such as 6283 and 6280. However, the US military made things 'simpler' by standardizing on 6400 mils in a circle. To make things even more interesting, the Russians, and perhaps others in Europe, use 6000 mils in a circle!"

thanks for all the thoughts. kelly's post in particular was very enlightening. seems like i might just use the legs for the time being, but i'll keep the head handy in case austria gets overrun again. much obliged...adam