What is the Gitzo centre post used for?

RaymondC

You can crank it up so that the camera is higher than it would be if it was directly on the platform at the top of the legs. The main reason for taking it out (or not getting one in the first place, like I did on my Gitzo) is that you lose some steadiness when you have it cranked way up. You can of course keep the center post but just not crank the camera up on it unless you absolutely need the extra height, though you probably lose a bit of steadiness even then.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it turns the tripod into a monopod (I'm sure the original poster was exaggerating to make a point). I own a big, heavy Gitzo tripod with a short center post, and when on occasion I need to make a quick upward adjustment I raise the center post a bit rather than changing the three legs, which takes a bit of time (so I'm lazy, sorry). For MOST situations this isn't going to wreck the photo, folks, and it adds a bit of convenience. But routinely raising up the center post significantly to change elevations is NOT going to give you the optimal steadiness that you bought the tripod to achieve.

So really, the issue is a bit of added convenience vs. the extra weight. You decide.

No, it won't be quite as steady as the camera mounted directly on top of the tripod of legs, but to compare it to a monopod is ridiculous. The centre post is still mounted on a very stable tripod and you will be increasing the maximum stable height available if you crank the centre post up. Depending on the model, you can also mount the centre post upside down to lower your stable height.

If it was only a monopod, you could leave it alone and it wouldn't improve stability anything like as much even if you were right next to it holding it.

John.

The center post is useful when you need to make fine adjustments to the elevation of the camera. The primary application is for macro work (coupled with a focusing rail) and copying. A long post makes it difficult to get low to the ground. Short posts are not very expensive, and eliminate this problem. Stiffness is not a problem with Gitzo in general, so there's no need to remove it. A columns is also useful for extra height. I use one for landscapes, reach over roadside growth or to control the foreground perspective (along with a step ladder.

For landscapes, it is much more useful to have a leveling head than a column. The leveling head is short enough to get close to the ground by spreading the legs.

You've probably read that you can reverse the column to get closer to the ground. I can only say "try it once," then reflect on the reliability of of bookish advice. (Hint: you have to point the camera between two legs, then fit your head between the remaining leg and the viewfinder.)

"but to compare it to a monopod is ridiculous"

What I meant when I said that the center post would be the equivalent to converting your tripod to a monopod is that if you extend the center post to half or full length you are virtually having a monopod on top of your tripod. Most serious photographers I know do not a center post at all for maximum stability (particularly when using long telephoto lenses).

Perhaps I exaggerated a bit in my first post.

Cheers

Manuel Weber

I would agree that while an extended centerpost will reduce the stability slightly, it is no monopod! On my CF Gitzo, it is quite rigid and immune to rotational (torsional) flex. As to the original question, the adjustable centerpost allows trimming the composition, especially when doing "macros". When putting the tripod in my luggage, I remove the centerpost and head, and wrap clothing around them.

<p>Center posts can be quite useful, although they do not add to the rigidity of the tripod. They have an undeserved bad reputation here on photo.net. I think it mostly has to do with the fact that many people are reluctant to spend money on a camera support system. There are a huge amount of tripod posts here that ask the question "will my extended zoom lens+body be stable on tripod/ballhead <i>xyz</i>?" Tripod/ballhead <i>xyz</i> is <i>always</i> the <i>absolute minimum</i> gear that can support the required lens/camera combo, and often the advice is that support will be dodgy, especially if there is a breeze...</p>

<p>So I'm thinking that overkill is maybe a good policy when it comes to a tripod, I can use my center column with impunity for my Nikon & Leica systems with no apparent loss in sharpness, but then I have a CF tripod/ballhead combo that can handle a MF up to a a view camera in terms of weight.</p>

<p>If you absolutely and positively want to replace the center post on a Gitzo, Markins make a base plate for the <a href="https://www.photoproshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/75" target="_blank">Gitzo G1227/1228</a> (in black, blue and red!) and <a href="https://www.photoproshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/76" target="_blank">Gitzo 1327/1348</a> that replaces the center column. I have a Markins Arca/Swiss style quick release clamp on my ballhead and it is beautifully engineered so I'm sure these base plates are of high quality.</p>

perhaps i am crazy - but i like the centre post on 3 of my 4 gitzo tripods. here we go again : there is more than just one kind of photography! for those who take a Nikon F5 with that "smallish" 600mm lens on a tripod to take pics of migratory birds on their patio a really big Gitzo tripod without a centre post is just almost sturdy enough. (trying to be overly clear here - ha ha - ). i personally have used a tripod for my "tiny" F2 and a even smaller 24mm lens to casually frame a landscape shot - and there the centre post came in handy. no problem with stabilty there. of course i could have driven home and get one other smaller gitzo tripod - just the right size for my camera and lens - with just the right hight for the shot -> without <- an unforgivable centre post. friends lets not turn this into a religion. if it works it just fine .-) if not needed the centre post can be locked in place - giving away a few % of stabilty - terrible for someone with a really heavy gear- ok for the rest.

cheers

walter

When attacked by a small bear, I take out my small center post to teach him a lesson; when attacked by as large bear, I use the ... etc ...

What a question!

Why do we have two arms? Not to think? Why does a car have a steering wheel? Why does my nutset have several sizes? Why - oh for heavens sake - does a tripod have three legs? Not 4 or 5 ? Why think? Or not to.

Hi Ray!

Edward,

reversing the center post for low level macro work is a cinch if you extend two tripod legs normally (narrow angle) and the third in a wider angle. (That is why most tripods have two clickable angles - in my book.) Of course you need to extend the wider set leg further, or the two tighter angled legs less to keep the tripod vertical. But then you have ample room to get your big head in there and so forth. A simple sensitive adaptation that work extremely well if properly understood and practised. Try it and see!