Canon 70 - 200mm f/4 L with Black Tripod Collar?

sheldonnalos

Ok, ok. I know this subject has been beaten to death, and yes, I have

done a full search on the forums.

I know that the Canon Tripod Mount Ring A (B) will fit the 70-200mm

f/4 lens (even though Canon says it won't).

My question (request) is is for help deciding on whether I would

prefer a white or a black tripod ring, cosmetically speaking. I've

seen photos of the white tripod ring on the lens and attached to the

camera (mounted on a tripod), but I've never been able to find a

picture of the lens with a black tripod ring attached.

Would any of you be able to post a photo of the 70-200mm f/4 lens

mounted with the black tripod ring attached? I can't get access to

one to see for myself whether I would like it. (BTW - it would be

attached to an Elan 7, if that's any help).

Thanks!

Sheldon

The focus and zoom rings are black, so the black tripod ring looks like it belongs. If you really can't imagine it black, why not photoshop a white image and glaze at it.

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Judging by the responses thus far, perhaps I should clarify...

I don't need any help making a decision on which to buy, and I am not consulting public opinion. I was simply hoping to see how it would look before I ordered one from B&H or ran across one on Ebay. After a few hours searching the net, I could not find a photo of what the black collar looked like on the 70-200 f/4L.

Of course I could imagine it, or get myself a set of crayons and draw myself a picture, but I was rather hoping that a kind soul who owned the combo would snap a photo and post it.

If there's anyone out there willing and able to help out, it would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Sheldon

Richard,

Do you really mean you put a 70-200 f4L on the front of your Rebel 2000 body and then attached just the body to a tripod - so no tripod mount on the lens - and the lens didn't cause the tripod to fall over, nor rip, or at least damage, the alignment of the plastic lens mount of the body?

I have a Rebel 2000 (over here EOS 300) and toured with buying that lens for a while and did indeed hold one - it seemed very heavy compared to my body. I posted a query on photo.net like the one above and the general consensus was to get a tripod mount - even if they were very expensive...

I have the F4L and bought the black tripod collar. Of course it fits perfectly. If you are concerned about looks, remember that the camera is black and most tripods are also. Even if the camera would not fall over on a tripod without the collar, it certainly will shake from the shutter and you cannot properly dampen that shake with a recommended hold.

Well, I caved and bought the black collar, despite not being able to find a photo of what it looked like before hand. The $35 difference at B&H was enough to make the decision for me, and my main reason for wanting the white collar was primary being concerned with "image" (read: Look at me! I have a pro Canon lens!). I figured the black collar was the better (and healthier) decision.

Here's a photo of what it looks like (pardon the low quality digicam shot) for anyone who is making the same decision and would like to see before they buy. If you want to see what the white collar looks like, Puppy Face has a great photo on his website under his EOS 3 review.

I think they both look cool.

Enjoy!

Sheldon<div>008eg7-18518784.JPG.9076f910830db4be609bbe958e12ef05.JPG</div>