Use Red filter for Black/White Studio?

michael_wilkie

I'm new to both medium format and studio photography. I have

typically used medium-red filters when shooting on technical

pan, infrared and pan f when sooting outdoors. I was wondering

if this is recommended (or widely implemented) for studio work.

I use 2-3 tungstun hot lights and shoot on a classic (pre-WW2)

Rolleiflex. Thanks in advance.

Michael

A red filter in black and white is a contrast filter. essentially, it allows more red light to pass throgh the lens onto the film than all other colors in the spectrum. thus, red will be denser on the negative, and therefore lighter on the print. the opposite color of red (cyan)will of course be less dense on the negative, and therefore darker on the print. so, in the studio, if you have a subject that needs that type of treatment, by all means go ahead and use it. Kevin

I've used a B+W light red filter for portraits outdoors and it lightens skin tones quite a bit. It practically erases skin blemishes. I took two shots of an older lady, one with the filter and one without and the difference was pronounced. Many blemishes without the filter, no blemishes with it. It's good for making your subject pop out against a blue or green background, like grass. The grass goes dark and your subject goes light. I've never tried it with tungsten light. I use tungsten for B&W portraits indoors but couldn't afford the 2.5 stop light loss from the filter. But for still life it might be useful.