Cheap Processing in San Francisco...and the Focus Lab

Just got back from a trip to Europe with about 20 rolls of film in

tow. Mostly NPZ 800 and NPS 400, but there's also some Tri-X and

HP5. I usually do my processing and printing at Photoworks on

Market; I've always been pleased, but processing with 4x6 machine

prints is about $26 for 36 exposures. Typically i'd get a proof sheet

and reprint the good ones, but I know I want prints of everything...

Anyway, I'm thinking I might take the stuff to a low-cost, non-pro

place...like Ritz or Costco...is this a reasonable option? Any

recommendations?

Also, does anyone know about the do-it-yourself lab in SF at Polk and

Union...I think it's called the Focus Lab.

Thanks!

Focus Gallery, actually. I develop my film at home (in a changing bag) and go there to make prints. You rent their darkroom by the hour, or buy 10 or 20 hour packages (you only pay for time spent on the enlarger). They have 2 Omega and 2 Beseler enlargers with EL-Nikkor or Schneider lenses, an archival print washer, a dry-mount press and all sundry accessories to have your prints made. They provide all the chemicals (they have to, as they are strictly monitored by the city's enironmental protection department). You have to bring your own paper, but they can sell you some as well.

You can also take inexpensive darkroom classes there (I did), given by the owner/factotum, John Perino. He can be grouchy at times, and definitely has a craftsman's empirical approach more than an engineer's attempt to understand the scientific principles at work and control processes. If you're OK with that style, he can be a very effective teacher. Just make sure you don't mention anything about digital photography. Tell him I sent you...

He will also provide services like hand printing (I believe $10 for a 8x10), framing, dry-mounting and so on.

Finally, it's "Focus Gallery" because they are an art gallery with shows going on pretty much all the time, mostly photography but other graphic arts as well.

If you're not in a hurry, the cheaper option will be A&I prepaid mailer (they just increased their prices to $13.50/roll for color). In fact, I like their color prints better than photoworks. For contact sheet, you can always do it at photoworks. That's what I usually do. They can be found at www.aandi.com. Usually, their turnover time is between 1 to 2 weeks.

Costco? No. I had a bad experience once, and I would NEVER do my prints at COSTCO again. I was very-very upset with the result quality @ Costco El Camino Real.

I've run film through a bunch of places in town, and these guys always seem to give the best results (including some obvious and well-called for dodging on some small prints that I hadn't requested -- good call on the printer's part).

There's also something to be said for funnelling cash through your local good guys even if it costs a little more -- think of it as insurance that they'll still be there later on.