Which second digicam to buy? Help needed!

Soon, I'll be having my birthday. Along with it, I'll be getting

some money because I'm graduating from high school. As I go off to

college this fall, I feel like I need a second smaller, lighter

digicam for convienence, fun, and to ease the wear and tear on my

DRebel. Now, the problem is: which one? Depending on the money I

get, I'll be looking at several digicams. Here they are, separated

into 3 categories for your convienence:

Category 1 (cheapies): If I get around $300-$400 (including sale of

my Elan 7E), I'll be looking at the Kodak EasyShare DX6490, the

Canon PowerShot A80, the Canon PowerShot SD110, the HP Photosmart

R707, and the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z1. In this category, I like the

Kodak because of the 10x zoom and fast AF, while I also like the HP

because of the adaptive lighting technology, 5 MP, and red-eye

removal.

Category 2 (sweet spot): If I get around $500-$700 (including the

sale of my Elan 7E), I'll be looking at the Canon PowerShot S1 IS,

the Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z2, the Sony Cyber-shot T1, the Kodak

EasyShare DX7630, and the Olympus C-5060. In this category, I love

the Sony T1 because of the short lag time and excellent design, but

I also like the 6.1 MP resolution of the Kodak DX7630.

Category 3 (dreaming): If I get around $1000 (including the sale of

my Elan 7E), I'll be looking at the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828, the

Canon PowerShot Pro1, and the Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2. In this

category, I'm not leaning toward any of the 3-I like the Sony

because the atheltic director of my former high school uses one

(bought using taxpayer dollars, of course) and loves it, while I

also like the Canon's layout and size as well as the Konica

Minolta's Anti-Shake and megapixel EVF.

What would be your picks? (Please pick 1 or 2 from each category.)

Any other suggestions for each category would also be welcome.

Put the birthday/graduation money into a certificate of deposit or savings bond or something. Don't buy another camera. Insure the D-Rebel with a rider on household goods policy, and take it with you to college.

Aim for minimal stuff in college, especially your Freshman year.

Be well,

Canon G3 used for about $400 (or maybe even cheaper)<br>

It will suit you nicely, especially if you have any Canon speedlite flashes. I love using my G3 with my 420ex.<p>

If you have any more money than $400, use the rest to buy new lenses for your Digital Rebel.

Seriously dude, digicams are junk, they are only good for things that are holding perfectly still and smiling at you. Dont expect to take many candids/action photos with these.

<p>

But if the money is seriously burning a hole in your pocket and you need to waste it then look at the Panasonic Lumix series.

<p>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=321412&is=REG">3 hundred bucks - DMC-LC70</a>

<p>

<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=302899&is=REG&si=feat#goto_itemInfo">6 hundred bucks</a>

<p>

Or, if I personally was going to get a digicam, I would want something small and non-SLR like(because you and I already have DSLRs), I would buy the <a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=280691&is=REG">Contax TVS Digital</a>, at B&h it says you can get a used one for $630.

<p>

You already have an DSLR, dont try to buy the same features in a digicam, its a waste.

#1- A80

#2- A80 and a new lens for the DSLR

#3- A80 and 2 new lenses, or one NICE new lens.

In other words, don't pour a lot of money into a digicam that will have very limited abilities

(long shutter lag and very high noise when compared to DSLR's). A second, smaller camera

would be nice at times, but don't spend too much on one. You'll be sticking with the

Canon SLR line in the future. right? Prepare for that with some good glass.

If you don't want the new lenses, I like the idea of savings and insurance.

Oh yeah, one last thought: If it's just for light use, buy a really nice film P&S (Fixed-lens

Olympus Stylus or similar) for less than $100 and put aside $100 for film and processing.

That still gets you high quality in an easy-to-carry package with money left over!

First off, congratulations

second thing, stop reading this forum, go out and have the most memorable senior summer you can dream up. That memory's got to last you 60 years dude.

finally, an old geezer once sang that "rust never sleeps", which just means your drebel is oxidizing as you look at it. better to burn out from overuse than to fade away from obsolescence. shoot the H*LL out of it and then worry about a new camera when it breaks.

PS, Money disappears fast on campus. don't buy something now you will be trying to hock for much less second semester. babes don't count how many cameras you have, but instead how many beers you can buy them. Once you get a whiff of that your priorities will change so fast you'll wonder what idiot ever posted this question.

I wouldn't buy no 2nd digital; especially no p&s. I suppose my *istD is quite comparable to your 300D. I don't fear no wear and tear on DSLRs. O.K. they are expensive but they have 2 years waranty. After these years you'll be lost if anything failes. By the way, what will you get for your 1000$ in two or four years? a lot more of a camera to have fun with!

Never buy a digital if you needn't, get a decent backpack and cope with the 300D wrapped in a towel besides your books and lunch pack.

When I was young I always cárried some SLR in my schoolbag. (when I grew older I took two or messed around with TLR and rangefinders)

I'm with the folks that say don't do it. I made it through two stints at Uni with an SLR and two cheapy lenses. Just make sure your camera is insured so if (when) something happens you don't have to worry. Having a $1000 DLSR and letting it gather dust is a waste. Just get one decent, walkaround lens on that puppy, an inconspicous camera bag and you are set. The isnsurance is good and cheap.

As for whether you spend your money on a savings account or beer, I know what I should be recommending, and I know what I personally did. Mmm Beer.

the sony 828 approaches the DRebel in low ISO conditions. You already use zooms on your Rebel; why not just replace both of your cameras with the Sony. Unless you're doing a lot of low light work or enlarging to huge sizes (and I get the impression you're not), you'll want to go with a minimalist setup in college. If you go this route you will have plenty of money left over for a tripod, flash, filters, good printer, and other accessories.