Where to by Camera in Chicago?

I've found (and this is only my experience) that prices at local stores are high enough to justify ordering from B&H. When you included all the local taxes, it's usually much less expensive to go to the main photo.net page and click on the link to B&H and order from them.

If you don't want to order, and need it right away, you might try Helix Camera or Central Camera. I recommend those only based on the list of items you're buying. They are probably more likely than a Wolf/Ritz to have those items in stock, especially the battery pack. Niether will be "cheap".

There is also a small, out of the way store a few blocks down from Central camera on Wabash that sells used equipment which would probably be cheaper. They wouldn't necessarily have the latest cameras though and you mentioned you wanted new. Call around. You might find a deal.

Not sure if this is an answer to the original question... more like another question to the other responders...

What about Calumet Photo? Probably not cheap... but it looks like they've got good stock. I've been looking for the 70-200 f/4L, and all the big online places are sold out, but Calumet has it. They have store locations in Chicago (Goose Island), and Bensenville (just west of O'Hare), as well as elsewhere in the U.S. and the world.

http://www.calumetphoto.com

It looks like they're sold out online of the Elan 7N, but the stores might have it.

Anyone else have experience with Calumet?

Yes. I've experience with Helix, Calumet, and Central.

All three are great stores in their own way. I've rented from Calumet on a number of occasions.

But they're not "cheep" and you throw taxes on top of them and you're seriously above B&H prices.

If you need it right away, I highly recommend either of those stores. But if you can wait, order it through the photo.net click-through to B&H and save yourself some money.

Sometimes the price that Helix will quote you in the store is higher than their website. If you find something on their site print the page out and take it with you. They won't have any problem giving you the internet price but they want you to have "proof." That is what I was told when I asked about an accessory that was quoted differently in the store than on the site. I had no problems and have been happy with them the times that I have ventured down there from the camera store wasteland that is Milwaukee. (sigh)