DAH Intervew on NGS site

gee-bug

"..The first thing that I tried to do when I picked up the digital camera was to simplify it.

In other words, there are God-knows-how-many combinations on that digital camera. I immediately reduced it down to two or three things that I saw would work really well. I light-balanced it out. I put it in one mode, and I just stayed there."

Bingo!

(and thanks, Ken)

Hi

the easiest way to simulate shooting slide film (which DAH does almost exclusively) with a digital camera, esp one like the D100 digital SLR, is to set it to manual mode, and set white balance to Sunny, since most slide films are daylight balanced (velvia, provia, E100VS etc) anyway! Viola, u're back to doing things manually - setting ISO, aperture, shutter speeds urself. Except now there's the advantage of setting ISO on the fly depending on the situation you find yourself in.

that's why i never understood the complaints of some forum members who thinks digicams / modern film SLRs are too complicated etc. They may have many controls, but most can be turned off or ignored. Esp so for digital SLRs / SLRs.

Humans are very adaptable - we just need to change our mindset sometimes :)

Thanks for the link. In November I saw the Divided Soul show at the Leica Gallery in New York and a few weeks later attended his lecture at National Geographic. I invited several friends to the lecture at NG (even before seeing the show in NY) b/c they work in public health concentrating in South America. In short, they loved his work, thought he was one of the most impressive speakers, photographer or otherwise, and came away with a great experience. My wife who fully supports all my photo endeavors said I should take a workshop with him based on not only his work but his honest excitement in photography and openness in communicating about it. If the opportunity to hear DAH lecture presents itself definitely go. I'd certainly like to take a workshop with him in Cuba if the travel restrictions for Americans are eased. Otherwise it might be that we head to Italy (with hopefully a then 3-4month baby)in the fall.

>>>Ken Geter , jan 06, 2004; 06:20 p.m.

John, do you have a link for the D100 ad? I couldn't find it on the Nikon USA

site. Thanks.<<<

Ken--talk about unhelpful.........sorry, but I can't find it either. The ad ran in USA

photo mags in summer, perhaps early fall. It had to do with Nikon's series on

'light' and how to capture it. The print ad had a weblink. At the time it occurred

to me it was a weird link. I have a call into a rep at Nikon to see if they know

what it is. I can't find the print ad now either. AS I said---talk about unhelpful. I'll

post a link if I can find it.

Why, the photo in question is right underneath our noses with the link Jeff Sparkes provided: <p>

<a href="http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/CDocZ_MAG.aspx?o=&DT=ALB&E=2K7O3R31FNDX&Pass=&Total=6&Pic=6&SubE=2K7O3RJKXOU8" >link</a> <p>

It's also in the latest issue of Aperture. <p>

Nice guy, BTW---I had the pleasure of meeting him at an exhibition opening.