Looking for a digital P&S with a wide angle lens

A friend of mine works for a real estate agency. He frequently needs

to take photos of the interiors of homes in order to post them on the

agency's web site. He currently uses a Fuji FinePix P&S but would

like to find a camera with a wider field of view.

Resolution is not important, as all photos will be reduced to 640x480

for the web site.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

If you really want to photograph interiors he probably needs to consider something like a Digital Rebel and Sigma 12-24mm lens. A basic tripod and shoe mount spirit level also come in handy. And to light up some dingy interiors to make them more appealing, a couple of extra flashguns can be useful. The extra expense of this setup will likely pay for itself in extra sales very quickly, as quality photographs attract attention of both buyers and sellers alike. In this instance, quality is about avoiding converging verticals and barrel distortion, providing attractive lighting, and a good field of view that conveys spaciousness, rather than megapixels.

I don't know what accessories are available for the Fuji model your friend has. But you can attach a wide angle lens to many cameras. For example, for field work I use a wide angle lens attached to my Canon G3. You simply get the wide angle / tele adaptor that allows the accessory lens to mount directly over the base lens. I like this setup so much I'm thinking about getting a similar accessory lens for my other digital cameras. For extreme wide angle (and higher quality wide angle), I still use my film cameras.

Most of the wide-angle digicams are large and expensive. Seems to me

a Nikon D70 or Canon 300D with 18-NN lens is a better long-term buy.

The only compact wide-angle digicam is the Ricoh Caplio, about $350,

but Ricoh does not market in the US. See <A HREF=http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=007ju7>

this thread</A>, which tells how to buy the previous G4wide model

for $288.