Zorki 1 at Monsoon light

<p>This is a Zorki 1 that I bought recently and renewed with CLA and other things. I also acquired an Industar 50mm f/3.5 lens from a different seller. The Monsoon has set and the weather has cooled. The lighting is special now as reflected by the low cloud cover and moisture hanging in the air.<br>

The last time I did a restoration of Fed 1 [Zorki 1] someone suggested that I post before and after [restoration] pictures. So I have tried some this time. This kind of documentation is laborious; though I took many pictures during restoration stages I did not compile and edit all of them. Please, bear with what I could. I may be able to compile a full renewal job on these cameras, some time, in the future.</p><div>00bkFT-540820584.jpg.591ae8c2eeb4e8e5e2cc5cdbbb6f6789.jpg</div>

<p>The leather straps are the weakest in these cases. I replaced them with nylon straps. A local tailor repairs zipper bags and the like. He made these straps for me for about $1.00 per piece. The edges of the case were too thin and delicate. So I epoxy glued them back into shape. The case feels strong now.</p><div>00bkFV-540820684.jpg.bb3ba71822e29176b46affbfb97db463.jpg</div>

<p>This is a second generation Zorki 1. Notice the beading above and below the lens mount. The earlier model had no beading at all. It was similar to the Fed 1. The next model has a ring bead around the lens mount. That decor was carried into Zorki C and some others. Picture on top is before; one below is after.</p><div>00bkFZ-540820784.jpg.6c42d859e2e2c6c0597a0a21f40b381f.jpg</div>

<p>Yes, that is the name for the "Gas Staion". In the Colonial years they were really small Kiosks called Bunks. I remember the two Glass cylinders on top a pump that an assistant filled by hand pumping using a lever that went back and forth. One knew exactly how many Gallons would be fed by gravity from the glass cylinders. Today it is all electronic, supposedly accurate. But there have been cases where retailers have tampered with the software and manipulate the same with remote control devices. When the inspectors come to check they restore the system to original specs with their remote control device.</p><div>00bkFp-540821284.jpg.6f1277ee1006618579ab7d8b089c5a63.jpg</div>

<p>'Before and After' is a nice addition to an already wonderful series.<br>

Here in the USA the 'dollar stores' are the modern 'Five and Dime' stores, selling a vast array of inexpensive items from imitation "creme"-filled sponge cake to glassware and cosmetics.</p>

<p>Isn't the Industar a kind of Tessar lens? I've got several in various mounts and find them quite respectable in performance.</p>

<p> </p>

<p>The Industar is a Tessar clone, and they can be quite exceptional if you get the right one. SP, always enjoy your walk arounds and even more your efforts to bring these cameras back to life. It's amazing how your town is changing, I guess a microcosm of what is happening all over India.<br>

We have so many Indian immigrants here now that we are almost South India! Even in my small town we have many families from the sub continent, and they are all wonderful people.<br>

Also impressed by your efforts with the case..wow..I'm sending all my old shoes over to you :)</p>

<p>Thanks <strong>Gene; </strong>it feels good even if it is only leather. <strong>James</strong>, I used to work in Redmond too on a Summer job. It was then a small town with 12000 people. The police department gave us a car for Surveying land use. So we had access to even very private homes on the lake. My partner and I enjoyed many a brown bag lunch on the waterfront in the private homes! Those were days of small town privileges. Thanks <strong>John, Mike. </strong>Yes<strong> JDM</strong> the Industars, 10, 22, 50, 26, and 61 are all said to be Tessars. The Soviets used some excellent rare-earth glass, especially in the N61s. According to Maizenberg the 10, 22 and 50 are the same optically, except for some improvement in the coating and the changed shell in the 50. I have used, CLAed, collimated, etc., more than 30 Industar lenses. Found them to be well designed and constructed. Optically, excellent too, even at wide open apertures. The prices are shooting up now! sp.</p>

<p>Yes, <strong>Tony</strong> the world is becoming smaller, more familiar to most people. I am amazed at the number of overseas players commentators and others who take part in the IPL series in India and feel quite at home, despite the "chaotic" social surroundings. I recall that in the 1960s I used to call home once a year ][from Seattle] and talk to my mother; the London operator used to help repeating every word I said to my mother! My mother chuckled saying that I had developed a British accent living in Seattle! Now my son lives in Sydney and works for a California firm commuting every other month. We talk or chat instantly. Old shoes are great, according my late uncle, because they do not pinch! Regards. sp.</p>

<p>Another fine restoration, and another fascinating walkabout. You're certainly a master of many trades, <strong>SP</strong>. Nice results from the Industar; you're right about the price of them climbing on the international market. Of the three I have, two are excellent and the other is so-so, noticeably softer and less contrasty than the others, though it appears to be clean and clear. Love the "True American Shoppee"...</p>

<p>The version of the Industar in M42 mount actually is very appropriate on an early (082) Praktica since it has the almost "pancake" form of the early Tessars. The Victar 5 cm lens that sometimes comes on the early Prakticas (and on the M40 Praktiflexes) is better than its reputation, but the Tessar/Industar is still better.</p>

<p> </p><div>00bkZo-540847584.jpg.01cc2d6ecb807f5147927a7c5c525055.jpg</div>