Zoom

dilip_sreshta

If you're after a recommendation, you should add a comment explaining what range (wide-angle, mid-range, telephoto) you're looking for, your price range and whether you need AF or MF.

Aye-yai-yai...okay, *the* most use and sought after zoom, or *my* most used and sought after zoom?

Since I don't know the former I'll tackle the latter. Probably the same as most folks' answer.

Over the years I've gotten the most use from a midrange zoom, something ranging from a standard wide angle (28-35mm) up to a moderate telephoto (70-100mm).

My Olympus C-3040Z digicam has a 35-105mm zoom that is nearly the perfect focal range. I'd like it a bit better if it ranged from 28-135mm without sacrificing the current optical performance *and* still kept the f/1.8-2.8 variable aperture. Damn those digicams for having all the advantages. Such a lens for my Nikon film cameras would cost me more than the entire Olympus digicam itself did. If only the sensor could match the performance of the lens...

Right now, and for the first time in many years, I don't have such a zoom for my film cameras. When I did a longtime favorite was the Vivitar Series 1 28-90mm f/2.8-3.5 varifocal. Damned fine performer for the money, not without flaws but those flaws were easily overlooked considering the value. In fact, the main flaw was the size and weight - the optical flaws bothered me less. I had this lens in Olympus and Canon FD mounts and will probably snag another in Nikon AI mount if I'm fortunate enough to find a good one at a fair price.

My most sought after zoom? Easy, the 28-70/2.8 Nikkor, even tho' I use manual focus Nikons. Second choice would be the 35-70/2.8 older AF model. Both are out of my budget right now, tho'. That's why I'm looking for another Vivitar Series 1. Hell, I may even settle for a later model 43-86 Nikkor when they'd corrected most of the optical flaws.

My second most used zoom is another Vivitar Series 1, a 70-210/2.8-4 and a damned fine performer for the money. But mine is one of at least two, possibly three, variations of this model and mine is the only one I'd want. It features true continuous close focusing, no special ring or other doodad to turn, press or otherwise activate for macro mode. Those models usually are inferior perfomers - I've wasted lots of money on such dogs among Canon FD, Tamron and other models.

This Vivitar is an even better performer optically than the shorter Series 1, with insignificant pincushion distortion and a bit of softness wide open at the longest end. It's sharp enough below 150mm to shoot wide open and has a satisfactorily flat field for close ups. It's only flaw, like the shorter Series 1, is that it's damned heavy. The price of a long focal range and quality. But it's good enough that I feel no need to substitute the 80-200/2.8 Nikkor for it.